Super Hydrophobic Spray for Litterboxes

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using PAM per the manufacturer of my litterbox, and the trick works great.    However, its not permanent, and it doesn't create results like this product, called "Never Wet".   Whatcha think for litterbox use?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another interesting tidbit I found:
NeverWet[emoji]8482[/emoji] coatings were originally tested for hospital applications, where the coating was applied to commonly used materials like bed pans and toilet plungers to prevent the spread of disease-causing bacteria. As part of this process, we conducted extensive bacterial testing, examining our surfaces in highly polluted and bacteria-infested waters. Since virtually no water ever touched the coated surfaces, next to no bacteria remained.
Bedpans application sounds pretty similar to litterboxes, and bacteria free?  Yes please!

As we all know, plastic is the worst at harboring bacteria, which is why its often recommended to use glass, stainless steel, or ceramic instead of plastic food bowls.

Last edited:

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This looks like a promising product for use in litter boxes.

Because many cats scratch the bottom of their box every time they use it.....
I do have some concerns about particles coming loose and mixing with the litter.
If that happened cat might breathe it into her lungs.

Do you know what the ingredients are in this product?
It sure would be nice to have something that is safe and works. :nod:

Edit:
I checked out their site. This product might be available to consumers mid-2012.
The link below will open their contact form.
Maybe one of you can ask if it could be used safely in a cat litter box.
If you find out, let us know please.
Never Wet Contact Info.

Last edited:

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually already did to ask where I could buy it and just got a reply back, since throwing money at my computer monitor wasn't doing anything.
Hello Chris,

We do not have an aerosol can product available to the public at this time.  We’re working diligently to develop something for the general public, however our overall business focus is to work with manufacturers to incorporate our technology into their products to enhance the features.

That being said, we are currently working with a national manufacturer on animal products and I think you’ll be extremely pleased when we’re able to make an announcement on those items!  Stay tuned to our web site for news releases and I’ll also add you to a mailing list so that you receive updates on our consumer products.

Thanks for your inquiry and enthusiasm!

Tess
Dang, so it sounds like we may see coated litter scoopers and litter boxes from the factory, but no aerosol can soon as I was hoping.   Good news though is that we could see this for kitty stuff at least.

Girlfriend always complained I'm too often premature when I get really excited.    I'm registered to get updates on this, so will bump this thread when we CAN actually buy it.   Something to look forward to at least.  

Last edited:

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually already did to ask where I could buy it and just got a reply back

Dang, so it sounds like we may see coated litter scoopers and litter boxes from the factory, but no aerosol can soon as I was hoping.   Good news though is that we could see this for kitty stuff at least.

I much rather just thoroughly clean and then spray my existing products though.  
Thank you for letting us know about this .....
please keep us updated. :bigthumb:

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a heads up that Home Depot now has this product on sale. 

I've tried to research any toxicity concerns, and while the aerosol itself of course is toxic once it dries and sets it is non-toxic from everything I have read and from their own FAQ.   $20 for two cans of the stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/204216...697_desktop&AID=10368321&cj=true#.Ucteb20kDw8

Downsides from reviews are clearly that this creates a white haze on things you spray it on, no big deal for my application, and from their FAQ:
Q: What can destroy a NeverWet coating?
A: Oils and soaps. These coatings are NeverWet, not never oily. Oil will wet them quickly, and water will stick to the oily portions of the products. If you rub them too much with your hands, the oil from your hands will cover the nanosurface and destroy its functionality. Motor oil, vegetable oil, or alcohol will also stick to the surface. If you do get oil onto the surface, wipe it very lightly with sudsy paper towel and rinse it thoroughly. When it dries, it should work again. If you get soapy water onto the plunger, it too will wet the plunger. Simply rinse all of the soap off and let it dry.

Q: Are the materials and the hydrophobic coating non-toxic?
A: Yes, it is non-toxic. We recommend that you don’t touch the coated portion of the products as you may get some white, chalky powder on your hands. The oils from your hand will also destroy the coating. It is not harmful, but we recommend that you wash your hands with soap and water if you do make contact.
I got clarification on the soap that it shouldn't wash off the coating, it just defeats the functionality while soapy.   So washing the litterbox should still be just fine and keep pee clumps from sticking when the soap is all washed off. Cat urine is also acidic, but they have various videos of it repelling vinegar just fine, and I don't think their pee is more acidic than that.

How does it work?

Apparently it uses the Lotus Effect, which is why its a two part treatment.   The first part helps it bond to the surface, the second part creates the lotus leaf like surface with micro-bumps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_effect

That means its not a chemical rejecting the water, its just micro-bumps in the painted surface that uses natural water surface tension to allow the water to "float" above the surface and not get wet.

Last edited:

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tested this stuff out.  I'll reply back in a month about the longevity.  I intentionally underfilled the litterbox so that when they pee'ed this weekend it would stick to the bottom.   It didn't stick, HOWEVER, I can't recommend this yet.

While it worked just like in the videos and nothing would stick to the "virgin" surface, once I filled it with litter the litterdust filled all the microbumps in the surface and water didn't bead up at all.   Only when the surface was completely washed off and then allowed to dry would the water bead up again.

So great stuff in general, if you wanted to say spray it on your satelite dish so that water and snow doesn't stick to it, but I don't think litterboxes are the right application.   Also, in a month I have a feeling that the "sandpaper" effect of the litter rolling around in the box will wear off the texture.... we'll see when its time to completely refresh the litter if it is easier to clean.  I'm pessimistic.

PAM cooking spray that you can get at any grocery store rubbed into the plastic after you clean it I think works just as well (water won't stick to oil) and is much cheaper, edible so you know non-toxic, and keeps the surface smooth.

Last edited:

brennok

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Subscribing for updates. I would love to use this stuff if it freed me of bags for my litterboxes.