Super Hungry Kitty!

malt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mum's cat has always been an over-eater, always pestering and begging for seconds, but over the last, I suppose year and some, she's turned it up to eleven! She's now getting 4x 85g pouches of wet food a day and she'll still ask for more. She's 12 years old and has been wormed recently, and she is a bit overweight but not morbidly obese or anything. She's an inside-outside cat, and she's not not showing any symptoms of age or illness. I live in upside-down land (New Zealand) so we're just coming into spring here. 

Her littermate sister has also been demanding more food than usual lately, but she also gets fed raw chicken necks so it's harder to calculate how much she's eating. 

So uh, is this normal? Is it an older cat thing? I'm not that worried, but should I be? Any other tips or advice? Thanks. 

linawaary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing could be the quality of food. If it's cheaper food maybe it isn't filled with enough nutrients to satisfy them. Additionally for every pound your cat is, it will need 30 calories per pound. 

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with age haha but maybe it could be the brand. Maybe someone else can way in

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You say she's indoor outdoor, what's the amount of play she's engaged in? When my cat goes out for long stretches she comes in to eat. Right now she hasn't been going out nearly as much as was our routine and eats more. I'm guessing you don't have a Siamese, not many in NZ I'd imagine, but I also can't diagnose as to the source of the weight gain except lack of activity which should even out with outside time. Quality of food is as important as amt. Should have nutrients and vitamins in it so there are no health issues. I don't think one or two pounds heavier than usual is a danger but also think that when activity level increases food should too..just like with humans. I have no clue about metrics and don't know what kind of cat you have so I can't judge or say whether it's too much or just right. My cat never gains weight no matter how much she eats but she pretty much self regulates.