Sun Cream Or Lotion For Cats

snowyandtabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

took our kitten/ now cat lol to vets on fri. they said we need to put some sun tanlotion. prefer kids ones they said.

but not sure wat ones to go get.

can anyone help me

thanx

matty

nerelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I've honestly never heard of putting sun tan lotion on a cat, so I dont' know what to tell you! lol

Good luck though. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a pet one on mine, I can either get it from teh vet or from my pet supplier. Although I am going to have to ask some questions about it on Thurs when they are up for a weigh in, as it is making their noses very dirty.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On white cats, it is recommended that you put sunscreen on their ears and noses, especially if they are outdoors at all. White cats especially are vulnerable to skin cancer.

One of our members found this out the hard way (not that she could have done differently...) when she adopted a gorgeous long-haired white kitty who had lived outdoors most of his life. Marshy's sweet home life was cut tragically short when it was discovered that he had skin cancer on his ears and nose. The operations to remove the cancer (his ears before they found how badly his nose was affected) were unsuccessful.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

On white cats, it is recommended that you put sunscreen on their ears and noses, especially if they are outdoors at all. White cats especially are vulnerable to skin cancer.

One of our members found this out the hard way (not that she could have done differently...) when she adopted a gorgeous long-haired white kitty who had lived outdoors most of his life. Marshy's sweet home life was cut tragically short when it was discovered that he had skin cancer on his ears and nose. The operations to remove the cancer (his ears before they found how badly his nose was affected) were unsuccessful.
Awww, how terrible!!!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't get pet suncream here so I use Nivea for children, factor 30, which is the strongest yet gentlest I can get. I put it on my white cats' ears and noses every day and so far they have not been burnt.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister has a Chinese Crested and uses WaterBabies and Banana Boat (the baby formula) on him...that works well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowyandtabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ty for advice all but how do u look for cancer on noses and ears? are they lumps? i v noticed a small which looks like a graze on snowy .

thanx

matty

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use sun BLOCK for kids - not the tanning stuff on the cat. Rub it in good and reapply every few hours if they are in the sun a lot.

BTW there really is no hairless REX cat - unless the rex has a bad coat problem and lost it (and would still have a thin coating of fur). The hairless cats are sphynx - not related to the rexes.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know Jordan doesn't go outside, but I noticed last year that his ears would get a little red from laying in the sun that comes through the window. Now I'm wondering should I be using sun screen on him & my Maggie? (both have white ears, she has a very white/pink nose & half his nose is white/pink)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by snowyandtabby

ty for advice all but how do u look for cancer on noses and ears? are they lumps? i v noticed a small which looks like a graze on snowy .

thanx

matty
I just searched for the threads on Marshmallow.
The cancer presented itself on him as cuts/small wounds that wouldn't heal.

I was also reminded that light colored orange/buff cats are also at risk for sarcoma of the skin due to overexposure to sunlight.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't find the Nivea for babies, so I got Banana Boat for babies. It seems to work well for my Twitch. No sunburns yet.

Now Ophelia, that's another story for another time....

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pebbles has pre-cancerous scabs on her nose, and hers have been scabs that would slightly go and then come back again - at the moment, they are looking good, and we have suncream for when she goes out. Although I am debating using it any time the sun is out, even when seh is just sitting inside. It does say to reapply every 1-2 hours though.

terribob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just lost our 10 year old white cat to cancer. The cancer started on the tip of his ears, so the Vet cut off the Ear Flap on one ear. The cancer went down into his lungs. We kept him as long as we could. It was very hard to see him go and he left us with another white cat, his niece (we know the cat history) and now the niece, Angel, is getting very pink ears and we are VERY concerned, so our Vet said to use Baby Suntan Lotion on her. We stopped at a pet store and they sold suntan lotion for dogs and horses, but not for cats and there was a different ingredient for the dog or horse, so we are concerned what lotion is best for the cat. At this point, I think anything is better than nothing.