Summer Care For Cats?

Kurai_Sen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,

So I live in India where summer has officially hit, and it seems this will be our harshest summer yet. Temperatures have reached 38 C (100 F) and is expected to go higher. Our cat was a stray that has adapted to this climate, so he's taking the heat better than our family friend's labrador.

However, he has greatly reduced his intake of food (didn't eat his Whiskas wet food at all in the morning, munched lightly on his Orijen dry food, and only ate well when we opened a can of Applaws for him.) He's been drinking tons of water though and has taken to lying around the house on the floor.

We're planning to switch him over to Sheba (another canned food he really likes and will clean his bowl) to tide over the summer as well as keep multiple bowls of water around the house for him. That is, apart from keeping the AC on.

What else can we do for him to keep him comfortable during the summer?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have ceiling fans, or floor fans (that he can't get to) to help circulate the air?

I have found when the weather starts to warm up here in Florida, Feeby's appetite goes down initially. After she acclimates to the change, she goes back to eating normally for the most part.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Water seems to get stale fast in hot weather so changing it once a day and preferable twice a day is important. And you want to make sure it’s a big water bowl. One of my cats liked ice in their water, the others didn’t seem to care but couldn’t hurt to try it.