Sulfamethoxazole And Trimethoprim Liquid Med For Kitten, Help?!

Tupperware Chip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 13 week old kitten was given a fish flavored SULFAMETHOXAZOLE AND TRIMETHOPRIM

Apparently its extremely disgusting because I've tried hiding it in ice cream, gravy, his a.d. wet food, and I've tried just straight up syringing it into his mouth. He foams and salivated it all out of his mouth and spots it up right away and now hes peeing outside his box due to stress. Has anyone had any luck with administering this med? Can a compounding pharmacy make this into a pill?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You don’t need a compounding pharmacy. This antibiotic comes in tablets. Just ask your vet to prescribe the tablets. I don’t think it’s all that bad tasting but I’m sure it’s not delicious. Have you tried hiding it in tuna? You’ll need a fair amount of tuna if he hates the taste so much. Count on half a small can per dose. Good luck. Pilling cats is a challenge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tupperware Chip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You don’t need a compounding pharmacy. This antibiotic comes in tablets. Just ask your vet to prescribe the tablets. I don’t think it’s all that bad tasting but I’m sure it’s not delicious. Have you tried hiding it in tuna? You’ll need a fair amount of tuna if he hates the taste so much. Count on half a small can per dose. Good luck. Pilling cats is a challenge.
This medication apparently in the dose it's being given to my kitten is not readily available which is why a compounding pharmacy had to make it into a fish flavored liquid. I left a message about pills because I've pilled cats before and I've had more success with that.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm . The tablets come in 400 mg/80 mg. There are 2 concentrations because this is 2 separate drugs. You’d have to divide this 6 ways to get your kitten’s dose. Possible, but you’d need a jewelry scale. The alternative is to put it into capsules. I measured and you’d need 2 size 3 capsules for 0.5 ml. If you think that’s worth doing, you can get gelatin capsules from Amazon. Good luck, whatever you decide. It’s a drag giving medicine to a resistant cat :(