Suggestions To Stop A Cat Bullying The Others

tassie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

Our eldery cat, Pops, started bullying another cat, Tas. They have lived together for 3 years so I am not sure what has started the problem, nothing has changed in the home. Strangely, Tas is generally the fighter - not with our cats but with any other cats and animals on her patch and she is very defensive of the younger cat. But when she is bullied by Pops so doesn't retaliate.

I usually tell Pops, No and put her outside but she is quite a stubborn cat and I have never had much luck teaching her things, such as the boundaries like I have with the others. I want to tell her she isn't allowed to do it but not sure what else will give her the message

Today for the first time (that I have seen) she attacked the younger cat, when Tas wasn't about so I realised I can't let this continue. I read a few things about jealousy but they all get equal affection and if anything Pops gets more as she is usually inside when the others are outside. Any suggestions most welcome!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, I would suggest a vet check for Pops. She is an elderly cat, so she may be having issues such as arthritis that make her crotchety and short-tempered with her younger housemates. You can sorta see her point if that's the case. Other than that, and even if that, she's being stressed, and here are a couple of articles that may give you a starting point:

Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

In any case, the key is getting that vet check done. NOTHING you do will help if an underlying physical cause isn't handled first.

Keep us posted, please. I want to you your Grande Dame is doing well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tassie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought I replied to this but just noticed I hadn't! We have a little trouble with Pops and the vet. When we have taken her in the past, she freaks out so much that he just can't diagnose her as she screams when touched - even if you just touch her ear for example so he never really knows what is giving her trouble, it's a total pain. In any event, I separated them for a few days and then everything went back to normal.