Suggestions To Introduce 10 Year Old Feral To My House

Buffie1031

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello folks and happy new year! I’m hoping for some good suggestions with a 10 year old feral cat, Jesse. We’ve had Jesse in a large bedroom in our hom since she was 8 weeks old. We used that room for fostering many cats. We always wanted her to be adopted but she would always run and hide from us. She was never vicious just afraid. I didn’t want to adopt her out until she came around with people but that never happened. All of the other cats were very social with us. She got along great with other cats just not people. Until this weekend, Jesse always had a roommate. Unfortunately her roommate passed away.
We don’t want to leave Jesse in the room all alone but don’t know how to introduce her to our 2-story house and 3 cats. We would really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Jesse may be perfectly happy in that room, it's what she knows.

One thing you could do for her is see if music helps, try MusicForCats . com.

Also, don't rush her, i think she needs time to grieve, if she is (some do, some not as much), and to adjust to her new normal, in that room first.

Then, you could try this;

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Very glad you are here. I can offer what has worked for me and my rescues. I put a cage or carrier in with the kitty to get them comfortable with it. I put food and treats inside and once eaten I make it into a comfy place to sleep. Once kitty feels safe there I use that as their travel trailer. They stay inside it and go for visits to the rest of the house and other cats. I make it brief at first but then extend the time until finally they are in the most active part of the house all day. Then it’s round the clock. Each stage may take time. Getting them adapted so they are not scared can be slow. Eventually they stay in the active room in a large cage with their “safe travel carrier” inside it for them to retreat to. Once comfortable with that I open the door to let them come out if they wish.
There have been some cats that decided to quit going in their carrier for the visits. With these cats I moved them straight into the large cage with a safe , smaller carrier or box inside for them to hide in. This has worked with over 70 rescues so far so maybe it will work for Jesse too.
The other option would be to get her a new roommate. If she is more cat oriented that may be better but I find the other method has led to all the kitties learning to enjoy people more. Every kitty is different though. Each one has taught me something new.
You came to the right place for tips though. TCS has a lot of great cat people here and I am sure others can offer more help.
I’m so sorry about the loss of the kitty. Please keep us updated. We’ll be wondering if you and all the kitties are doing okay. :welcomesign::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffie1031

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

Also, don't rush her, i think she needs time to grieve, if she is (some do, some not as much), and to adjust to her new normal, in that room first.

Thank you for your suggestions. I too think that she may be happy being in that room. And if that’s the case then so be it. We will however eventually have the room open at all times so that we can use it for other things.

Buffie1031

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Very glad you are here. I can offer what has worked for me and my rescues. I put a cage or carrier in with the kitty to get them comfortable with it. I put food and treats inside and once eaten I make it into a comfy place to sleep. Once kitty feels safe there I use that as their travel trailer. They stay inside it and go for visits to the rest of the house and other cats. I make it brief at first but then extend the time until finally they are in the most active part of the house all day. Then it’s round the clock. Each stage may take time. Getting them adapted so they are not scared can be slow. Eventually they stay in the active room in a large cage with their “safe travel carrier” inside it for them to retreat to. Once comfortable with that I open the door to let them come out if they wish.
There have been some cats that decided to quit going in their carrier for the visits. With these cats I moved them straight into the large cage with a safe , smaller carrier or box inside for them to hide in. This has worked with over 70 rescues so far so maybe it will work for Jesse too.
The other option would be to get her a new roommate. If she is more cat oriented that may be better but I find the other method has led to all the kitties learning to enjoy people more. Every kitty is different though. Each one has taught me something new.
You came to the right place for tips though. TCS has a lot of great cat people here and I am sure others can offer more help.
I’m so sorry about the loss of the kitty. Please keep us updated. We’ll be wondering if you and all the kitties are doing okay. :welcomesign::heartshape:
Thank you too for your suggestions. We do plan on crating her as well to let her be around us and feel safe. We have a very large dog crate that we’ve made into a “condo” by adding a second level with a piece of wood that’s covered with carpet. Other cats have felt at home in that crate while getting used to things.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss. And it sounds like it was a loss for Jesse too. It's so sweet that - even in your grief - one of your first thoughts is for Jesse and what's best for her.

Jcatbird Jcatbird is right - - not rushing her is important, as is following her cues (also correct in saying this site/forum is the place for suggestions -- - and a shoulder to lean on). I've fostered well over 100 cats and kittens now - along with helping out at shelters and doing TNR/socializing. And one of the main things I've learned is that, like people, every single one is different...has a different personality, a different timeline on adjusting to things, responds to different things, etc. We've had some who were complete loners and others who preferred greatly the company of another cat.

One of our stranger ones was never feral, but raised - for the first few weeks, in a home with mom, siblings, and other cats. She was, however, taken away too soon from her mother (5 weeks) and brought to the humane society I worked for at the time. And I think lacking that early mom/littermate socialization ultimately made for a cat that loved me, but wasn't a fan of people or other cats.

Anyway - her anxiety/frustration/anger/etc got worse and worse (including pooping on beds, spraying everything, eventually ruining carpets, wood floors, bookcases, entertainment centers, books, walls, you name it - and yes, she was spayed and had no health issues). Our vet gave us the suggestion that we try putting her in our master bedroom, where I sleep alone (hubby sleeps separately bc he's a VERY loud snorer - although he'll never admit to it :sleep2::sleep:). I do spend alot of time in my bedroom than most people as I'm in bed w/fibromyalgia pain more than I'd like, so she wasn't truly "alone" much. And it's a very large master, with a big picture window, etc. I fought long and hard against doing it - felt I was "jailing" her - but I can honestly say, she became a different, content, loving cat. All behavioral issues stopped, she even started to like other people! And I did eventually often leave the door open - - and she'd wander out periodically (no one ever wandered in -- they knew it was "Phoebe territory"), but very rarely.

That said - - I'm not saying that leaving her alone in a room is the answer. In Phoebe's case it was - - but in most cases it isn't. But she has been in there most of her life, and it may end up being where she's comfortable. I wanted you to hear her story so you'd know that even if you take things slowly to try to integrate her into the rest of the household, her spending some time in "her" room as she adjusts isn't cruel (unless, of course, SHE feels it is). I do think if she ends up wanting to stay in that room, having a roommate (with a super slow intro) would likely feel best (in the long run) for her. While cats can be loners, in my experience (except Phoebe!) few enjoy being truly alone.

So when you say you got her as an 8-week-old feral, and she's now 10 years old - was all of that time spent solely in the one room? (no judging - just asking!!!!) Has she ever during that time been exposed to any part of the rest of the house? If not - - that further reinforces, to me, that an intro to the rest of the house, or to a new roommate, I think she's become so accustomed to that single room as her world, slow anything is the key! Like Jcatbird Jcatbird , that it's at least worth trying a suuuuuuuper slow intro to the rest of the house and its inhabitants - - as in take at least a week on each step.

There are several ways to go about slow intros - - and all depend on doing it on Jesse's time (which will indeed teach you patience! Does me every time!). And having an open cat crate in there is critical for her to use as a "safe place" as she's either introduced out to the rest of the house, or as she's introduced to a new roommate. One is to do what now everyone sees Jackson Galaxy do (alot of us have been doing it for a long time :)) - - start by feeding her inside the room and your other ones right outside her room, very near the closed door. Eventually feeding her right up to the door on the inside, and the others right up to the outside of the door. Once any growling, etc. has gone - move a step further. Crack the door a TINY bit - and in half an inch. That way they can all smell each other, but can't paw each other or reach each other in any way. Then VERY slowly open the door - -in small, small increments, paying close attention to the reactions on BOTH sides. Once you feel like both sides are at least starting to come to grips that they're all there - - -what we do is use a folding screen (a cheap wooden japanese folding screen - I attached a pic of one like we used - - we just removed the paper from it) in the doorway that we attach (temporarily) with hooks and eyes to the door frame. They could see each other fully, but couldn't get "at" each other. Other people on this site utilize actual screen doors during the intro process. Both use the same concept. And this method has worked for us every time - - - - but again, slow is the key!

I think Jcatbird Jcatbird 's idea of the carrier into the other rooms is also an interesting idea - - I've never done exactly that - - but it sounds like it's another option! I think if you go that way - I might try it but expose her to only one of the other cats - - and isolate the other while you're exposing her. It'll be less likely for her to feel overwhelmed.

As far as introing a new roommate - - - I feel like I've typed so much already, I'll let someone else weigh in on that (including things like - cat or kitten, etc). And if no one does, I'll weigh in later - - just have to get back to actual paying work - darn it! :rolleyes3:

Keep us posted!!!!! And I think I can speak for all of us that we're all thinking of you and of Jesse.

japanese folding screen.jpg

Buffie1031

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss. And it sounds like it was a loss for Jesse too. It's so sweet that - even in your grief - one of your first thoughts is for Jesse and what's best for her.

Jcatbird Jcatbird is right - - not rushing her is important, as is following her cues (also correct in saying this site/forum is the place for suggestions -- - and a shoulder to lean on). I've fostered well over 100 cats and kittens now - along with helping out at shelters and doing TNR/socializing. And one of the main things I've learned is that, like people, every single one is different...has a different personality, a different timeline on adjusting to things, responds to different things, etc. We've had some who were complete loners and others who preferred greatly the company of another cat.

One of our stranger ones was never feral, but raised - for the first few weeks, in a home with mom, siblings, and other cats. She was, however, taken away too soon from her mother (5 weeks) and brought to the humane society I worked for at the time. And I think lacking that early mom/littermate socialization ultimately made for a cat that loved me, but wasn't a fan of people or other cats.

Anyway - her anxiety/frustration/anger/etc got worse and worse (including pooping on beds, spraying everything, eventually ruining carpets, wood floors, bookcases, entertainment centers, books, walls, you name it - and yes, she was spayed and had no health issues). Our vet gave us the suggestion that we try putting her in our master bedroom, where I sleep alone (hubby sleeps separately bc he's a VERY loud snorer - although he'll never admit to it :sleep2::sleep:). I do spend alot of time in my bedroom than most people as I'm in bed w/fibromyalgia pain more than I'd like, so she wasn't truly "alone" much. And it's a very large master, with a big picture window, etc. I fought long and hard against doing it - felt I was "jailing" her - but I can honestly say, she became a different, content, loving cat. All behavioral issues stopped, she even started to like other people! And I did eventually often leave the door open - - and she'd wander out periodically (no one ever wandered in -- they knew it was "Phoebe territory"), but very rarely.

That said - - I'm not saying that leaving her alone in a room is the answer. In Phoebe's case it was - - but in most cases it isn't. But she has been in there most of her life, and it may end up being where she's comfortable. I wanted you to hear her story so you'd know that even if you take things slowly to try to integrate her into the rest of the household, her spending some time in "her" room as she adjusts isn't cruel (unless, of course, SHE feels it is). I do think if she ends up wanting to stay in that room, having a roommate (with a super slow intro) would likely feel best (in the long run) for her. While cats can be loners, in my experience (except Phoebe!) few enjoy being truly alone.

So when you say you got her as an 8-week-old feral, and she's now 10 years old - was all of that time spent solely in the one room? (no judging - just asking!!!!) Has she ever during that time been exposed to any part of the rest of the house? If not - - that further reinforces, to me, that an intro to the rest of the house, or to a new roommate, I think she's become so accustomed to that single room as her world, slow anything is the key! Like Jcatbird Jcatbird , that it's at least worth trying a suuuuuuuper slow intro to the rest of the house and its inhabitants - - as in take at least a week on each step.

There are several ways to go about slow intros - - and all depend on doing it on Jesse's time (which will indeed teach you patience! Does me every time!). And having an open cat crate in there is critical for her to use as a "safe place" as she's either introduced out to the rest of the house, or as she's introduced to a new roommate. One is to do what now everyone sees Jackson Galaxy do (alot of us have been doing it for a long time :)) - - start by feeding her inside the room and your other ones right outside her room, very near the closed door. Eventually feeding her right up to the door on the inside, and the others right up to the outside of the door. Once any growling, etc. has gone - move a step further. Crack the door a TINY bit - and in half an inch. That way they can all smell each other, but can't paw each other or reach each other in any way. Then VERY slowly open the door - -in small, small increments, paying close attention to the reactions on BOTH sides. Once you feel like both sides are at least starting to come to grips that they're all there - - -what we do is use a folding screen (a cheap wooden japanese folding screen - I attached a pic of one like we used - - we just removed the paper from it) in the doorway that we attach (temporarily) with hooks and eyes to the door frame. They could see each other fully, but couldn't get "at" each other. Other people on this site utilize actual screen doors during the intro process. Both use the same concept. And this method has worked for us every time - - - - but again, slow is the key!

I think Jcatbird Jcatbird 's idea of the carrier into the other rooms is also an interesting idea - - I've never done exactly that - - but it sounds like it's another option! I think if you go that way - I might try it but expose her to only one of the other cats - - and isolate the other while you're exposing her. It'll be less likely for her to feel overwhelmed.

As far as introing a new roommate - - - I feel like I've typed so much already, I'll let someone else weigh in on that (including things like - cat or kitten, etc). And if no one does, I'll weigh in later - - just have to get back to actual paying work - darn it! :rolleyes3:

Keep us posted!!!!! And I think I can speak for all of us that we're all thinking of you and of Jesse.

View attachment 269314
Thank you for your response and kind words. I’m definitely going to try to take it at her pace and not get frustrated. You know how quickly we want things to move. Jesse’s always been in that room because all she does is run from people and I didn’t want her to get into a place in my house where we couldn’t find her. I do like the idea of the screen that you posted. I’m also going to put a radio in the room and put it on a talk radio show so that she can get used to the sound of peoples voices and hopefully that will help her too.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad I could offer a bit of help!

Yes-I TOTALLY get how quickly we want things to move vs how fast they really do. ;) Someone once told me on this site something I'll never forget---I was pretty new to the site, and although I've been socializing & fostering forever, I'd gotten SO frustrated with how slowly a few semiferal fosters were coming around---& I was told by a wonderful person here that "ferals are amazing as they teach you patience....as it's often one step forward, two steps back." But BECAUSE that trust & love is so hard-caught for, every bit of returned love becomes an amazing, rewarding, unforgettable part of our lives. It ain't easy-but few things that are worth it rarely are!!!!!

A radio or tv can be SUCH a help!! It not only exposes her to more voices and sounds, it desensitized her to them also, AND covers up big scary noises (like the vacuum!) that happen outside her safe place!

I'm hoping eventually she's able to get out of the room (if possible!). If you do try it- another tip - shut every door but the one to "her room" so she can't scoot into another room & hide. Since our first floor has few doors (bedrooms are upstairs) when we get to the point (after slow intros) of letting timid fosters explore the main floor (we foster in a large bedroom in our finished basement) we use our screen to to block off the landing that leads upstairs-& put the "residents" upstairs - but they can (& do!) come to the screen to watch the fosters.

I had one more last thought --- occasionally when we've fostered very timid, single kitties --we've also then "sort of fostered" a few different kitties (one at a time) of different ages, different temperaments, & so on (the shelter knows why we do it & trust us - they know it's also good for the shelter residents to get out a bit). After a few tries we can usually tell when it will help calm the timid one & when it won't.

Again -please keep us posted!!!!!!!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And Flick said to tell your sweetie that if she can be totally socialized ---your guy can too! Although every cat's eventual level of social ability is different....we put a lot of work into her, and a lot of love, and a lot of time...it was worth every minute . Flick's sister was taken in by 1 of our neighbors who helps w/our TNR work---&, although they took it slowly w/her (albeit not the creeping slowness we employ!)-- she's taken twice as long to get half as far. But as our friends say, she is happy & safe, and every day (after 3 years!) she gets better & better!!!

Thought you'd like to see who I'm talking about - this is Flick, ex-feral and lover of laps, fresh laundry & life in general .

Attachments

Buffie1031

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

See my new post about the baby gate we put up

Buffie1031

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And Flick said to tell your sweetie that if she can be totally socialized ---your guy can too! Although every cat's eventual level of social ability is different....we put a lot of work into her, and a lot of love, and a lot of time...it was worth every minute . Flick's sister was taken in by 1 of our neighbors who helps w/our TNR work---&, although they took it slowly w/her (albeit not the creeping slowness we employ!)-- she's taken twice as long to get half as far. But as our friends say, she is happy & safe, and every day (after 3 years!) she gets better & better!!!

Thought you'd like to see who I'm talking about - this is Flick, ex-feral and lover of laps, fresh laundry & life in general .

Attachments

Buffie1031

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Check my earlier post. I put up a baby gate to help with the intro