Suggestions for play time

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
While I've integrated new cats into the household in the past, this is the first time with a resident lady cat.

Julian (new boy) and Sadie (resident lady) get along pretty well. While they don't sleep with each other, they'll sleep near each other each together and hang out in the same rooms. I think this is very good progress for just two months.

The one thing I'm trying to figure out is how we can get Sadie some play time. Hubby and I will try to each play with one or the other, but s lot of the times Julian just wants to play with everything lol. Including his sister and whatever toy she has. I know he's only two, and he by no means rough houses her, I feel bad that Sadie will just get up and walk away. We played with her quite a lot before Julian, and I want to ensure she continues to get that same amount of play time.

We have an older home built in the 20's. So the upstairs has three bedrooms that connect to each other. No doors are in between the three rooms, but there are doors on each of the two rooms that connect to the upstairs hallway.
The downstairs is the same; kitchen dining room and living room with no doors.
I would close the upstairs off, but that is where food and bathroom are located.
I'm trying to get creative with ways I can distract Julian long enough to play with Sadie. I've blocked him from getting to her when we're playing, but of course the minute she sees him she gets distracted (oy, cats!)

Of course, Sadie still gets plenty of love time on her own with us. But I still want them to have equal play time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get creative with this?

Appreciate any feedback! ❤

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you close off the upstairs even just for a good play session? Even 30 minutes without food and bathroom is fine. Or I play in the bathroom sometimes and that hopefully has a door! Or, you could take boy outside on a harness for a short time while play time happens? It can sometimes take some planning...

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can't try either playing with Julian with a loud toy on one level and then playing with her with a quiet toy on another level.

Or just close the door for the 30 minutes of playtime. It's not long enough to be an issue.

Eventually, as your cats age, you will likely need a litter on each level of the house however. So it's something you could start thinking of now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you close off the upstairs even just for a good play session? Even 30 minutes without food and bathroom is fine. Or I play in the bathroom sometimes and that hopefully has a door! Or, you could take boy outside on a harness for a short time while play time happens? It can sometimes take some planning...
Thanks! We did end up trying the 30 mins with Julian closed off in the bathroom with hubby and I play with Sadie last night. It worked for a little bit, then she was too interested in what they were doing and had to go check it out. 🤣
I have harnesses for both kitties, but we're waiting for Julian to calm down a bit more before we go outside. He "escaped" the other day while we were taking out the trash.... I chased him across 5 yards for 15 minutes before I was able to lure him and get him back into the house. 🤦‍♀️ Longest 15 minutes ever!! Lol But we do take Sadie out on her harness/leash, and she loves it!!
We're going to try continuing these two approaches for now. I think it's just still going to take a little time, which is to be expected. I appreciate the suggestions! ❤

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! We did end up trying the 30 mins with Julian closed off in the bathroom with hubby and I play with Sadie last night. It worked for a little bit, then she was too interested in what they were doing and had to go check it out. 🤣
That's cats for ya! The grass is always greener doing whatever the other cat is doing or in the next yard over! 😆

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have harnesses for both kitties, but we're waiting for Julian to calm down a bit more before we go outside. He "escaped" the other day while we were taking out the trash.... I chased him across 5 yards for 15 minutes before I was able to lure him and get him back into the house. 🤦‍♀️ Longest 15 minutes ever!! Lol But we do take Sadie out on her harness/leash, and she loves it!!
We're going to try continuing these two approaches for now. I think it's just still going to take a little time, which is to be expected. I appreciate the suggestions! ❤
They get more used to it over time 🤣 let us know how it continues to go!

kiriharahayato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems like there are collars with GPS trackers available on Amazon. Maybe you can get one for him.🤣

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BellaBlue82 BellaBlue82 Well apparently I'm late to the party lol... I was going to recommend the same things already mentioned by A Alldara and K Kris107
And yes it can take some time to get adjusted to the new play routine and with more training I think that Julian will get better on the leash and harness. It sounds like you have a good game plan set. Please keep us posted on progress 🙂🙂

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems like there are collars with GPS trackers available on Amazon. Maybe you can get one for him.🤣
Lol I might do that!! Both kitties are microchipped, but of course as I was running the gambit course after Julian the Jogger my mind was racing....
...thank God he's microchipped!
...oh no, what if he goes farther than our block?!
....what if someone doesn't give him back because he's so cute!!...

The little stinker went everywhere that mommy couldn't, too - behind a brush of poison ivy, under someone's back porch, leaping over 4 foot retaining walls ( that in my fervor and stupidity I tried to scale like a 20 yr old)
The best part - our security cameras caught ALL OF IT. I could win funniest home videos.... 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♀️🤬

kiriharahayato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol I might do that!! Both kitties are microchipped, but of course as I was running the gambit course after Julian the Jogger my mind was racing....

The little stinker went everywhere that mommy couldn't, too - behind a brush of poison ivy, under someone's back porch, leaping over 4 foot retaining walls ( that in my fervor and stupidity I tried to scale like a 20 yr old)
The best part - our security cameras caught ALL OF IT. I could win funniest home videos.... 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♀️🤬
:lol:You can give AirTag a try, but of course, this is just a spontaneous idea of mine.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They have gps collars that are live tracked and I know some do have a range limit and some don't. Also some require a subscription monthly
Just incase he ever runs like that again and you have a hard time trying to find him

Last edited:

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
They have gps collars that are live tracked and I know some do have a range limit and some don't. Also some require a subscription monthly
Just incase he ever runs like that again and you have a hard time trying to find him
Hmmmmm that may be worth looking at. If I can get him to keep his collar on... 😂😂