Suggestions For My Counter Surfers?

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my girls, Rei and Soul, will not stay off the counters in the kitchen. We’ve tried sticky paws, moving their tree down there since it’s the approximate height of the counter. My bf will spray them if he catches them up there but they always go back. What else can I do to keep them off?

I’m having the same issue with them in the windows and breaking the blinds as well. Sticky paws worked for a month and then they decided they didn’t mind the feeling

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats counter surfed as kittens/teens. They got chased off the counter with a yelled "NO! OFF! GET DOWN NOW!" and squirted until they got down then I ignored them. All it teaches your cats though is to avoid the counters when you are awake/around. I also used penny cans when they were young. Consistent training is the key. About your blinds ... I would find a way to block off their access to the window & blinds. Also I would give them a window they can be in. I gave my cats the breakfast nook but banned them from the counters/dining room table & coffee table. Our semi-feral I trained to stay off the counters with yelling 'OFF!' and pushing him down. So no squirt bottle may be needed. Just consistency and time. Also give them treats/praise/affection when they are in their kitchen spot. You might want to make sure both cats have a kitchen spot since cats like room to stretch & their own places. I might just remove my blinds & give them a spot with curtains to peek outside. Pick your battles and all that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions! I’ll definitely try them out

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
We have always had a “no cats on the counter” rule at my house and while some cats were easy to train, other definitely were not. The starting place is keeping absolutely no food anywhere in sinks or counters. I do not even fill their dishes on the counter so they never learn it is a good source of food. If they are going up because of a great window view then you need to make the view out of another window more attractive. And it takes persistence, a whole lot of persistence to chase them off every single time they go up. Along with a loud voice I also use a audio cue, snapping my fingers or ringing a bell as I chase them off. Eventually hearing the noise is enough to get them down and if company is over snapping my fingers can be done discretely so they don’t need to know there is a cat sitting in the counter. (Like children cats seem to know when there are distractions that might allow them to slip in some rule breaking). I also have had one cat who never climbed on the counter when I was home but on several occasions not only climbed the counter, but she also took the cover off the sugar canister, scooped it out and spread it from one end of the counter to the other. After throwing out the remaining sugar and washing the canister twice, it was no longer kept on the counter, but I suspected she still came up there and sat, just to spite me.

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions! So far today they’ve not been on the counters. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to train them

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recently saw this article on the site, which suggests making mats that make the counters undesirable to your kitties.
Get Off! How To Discourage Your Cat From Jumping On Counters

I know you said you tried the sticky paws (which I assume would be equivalent to the tape-sided mat in this article,) but have you tried other "undesirable" surfaces? One of the suggestions is to use those carpet protector mats, turned upside down, so the little bubbles face up towards your cat. I have also seen one where people made aluminum foil mats to discourage cats on the counter. I am going to experiement with these options soon myself, but haven't tried any just yet. Hopefully we can find something that works!

Rei's Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn’t think about those knowing my little weirdos they’d probably like the foil for the sound it makes lol. The carpet mat may work. I know I hated when they managed to flip on the end and I stepped on it so I’m almost positive they will too lol

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol. Yeah, my kitties don't mind foil, either. But I guess some cats hate it. I think the carpet mats are a good idea, because you can easily cut to size and re-use them over and over without having to get crafty with tape and / or new foil every night. That is, as long as the carpet mats are effective! :wink:
I'd love to hear from someone who has actually tried them!