Suggestions for introducing Stray to Dog?

qtpidani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I've been caring for a stray that someone dumped for the past 3+ years. It has taken me 3'ish years to gain his trust and now he has moved onto my front porch. I think I have finally found a home for him, which is great because the temps here are below freezing.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to introduce him to this potential adopters dog? I know my stray has had issues with dogs because he has tried to (unprovoked) attack my dog (50lb pittie) but has gotten better since then. That "meeting" was from when he had first taken up residency on my porch and I was taking my dog for a walk. Since then, I've had my dog sit on the porch with me and the stray and continue to take her out the front through the porch for walks and while he seems skittish of her, he doesn't react.

I know there are no guarantees, but I know there are things I can do to help with the introduction. I'm just not sure what those are...
The potential adopters dog is smaller and mellow, which I think would be good.

Any tips, suggestions, opinions would be greatly welcomed! This is my first time trying to get a home for a stray.

This is my chonkster stray 😁

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
https://thecatsite.com/c/introduce-cat-and-dog/
Introducing dogs and cats (By Jackson Galaxy)

Thank you for helping this cat. If the potential adopter's dog is small, mellow, and well behaved, this should work out providing that they are not just thrown together and left to work it out themselves.

I have had cats and dogs together for years. Since all are rescues, most brought into the house on an emergency basis, there was not a lot of preplanning. Regardless, by following some guidelines it can all come together.

IMO, it is on the dog to be the one who initially behaves and learns to accept the cat in a non threatening way.

The cat will definitely need safe places of his own such as cat trees or shelving so that he can move to a higher level where he will begin to feel safe.