Suggestions for a dry and raw diet?

jaksmom13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I've been thinking of switching my kitten (6 months) to a dry and raw diet. I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on this as I've never had a cat on raw diet...

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why dry and raw together? That's an unusual combination since most people who want to switch their cats to raw do not want to feed any dry except during the transition period.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaksmom13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had been told that the dry food helps keep their teeth healthier... As I said I'm new to the raw diet. Would it be better for him to get completely off the dry food???

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feed dry, but I understand kittens needing food more than twice a day. You can add canned meals if 100% raw isn't feasible.

The old saying that dry food cleans teeth has proven to be a myth. Check out www.catinfo.org for more information, as well as resources in the stickies and of course articles right here at TCS.

Are you wanting to feed frankenprey? Or mix supplements yourself and add to ground meat/organs/bone? Or add premix to meat and liver? Or buy a commercial raw that's defrost and serve? Those options go from cheap to expensive, and so long as the diet is balanced any or a combo of those options is fine. We can help you figure out which is best for your situation.

Welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaksmom13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Peaches08! I'm still figuring out what I want to do for him, I'm on kind of a limited budget so probably what is least expensive, but what would be best for him. I know that he can be a bit picky; for instance he doesn't care for fish much, he really prefers chicken and turkey, but I think he likes venison as well, and he loves liver.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely better to get him off of the dry food.  Dry food doesn't clean their teeth any better than cereal cleans your teeth.  RMB (Raw Meaty Bones) help keep the teeth clean.  I just switched one of my cats and am using the recipe found on Catinfo site and am feeding him for a little more than $5.00 a week.  Which is a lot better than the $30 for 2 weeks vet food they wanted me to feed him.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Peaches08! I'm still figuring out what I want to do for him, I'm on kind of a limited budget so probably what is least expensive, but what would be best for him. I know that he can be a bit picky; for instance he doesn't care for fish much, he really prefers chicken and turkey, but I think he likes venison as well, and he loves liver.
I make homemade raw due to budget and I can control the ingredients. It isn't a "lesser" option to make it yourself, you just need to make sure that what you're feeding is balanced. I use the same recipe that cprcheetah mentioned and my cats are doing great on it.