Suggestions? Cat Fancies Himself A Chef?!

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cattius the Great (AKA Atticus) must fancy himself a fine chef. When cooking he likes to grab the oven door handle and do pullups. If ignored, he will slip his paw up and adjust the knobs on the stove to a better cooking temperature. If you attempt to put that knob back in the proper range- well he knows better and will swipe you from below. While cooking with cat is annoying...it is his self cooking escapades that are scary. Initially I scolded my husband, admonishing him for being so careless and leaving a burner on all night. After several incidents, I've made it part of my habit to ensure all burners are off before we go to sleep...only to find one or two on in the morning. I gave Catticus the hairy eyeball and purchased baby covers for the knobs. Lo and behold....burner on again this morning-and the husband is away. How did he do it? I am certain it must be Catticus- none of the others have ever helped me out at the stove. We have a gas range, so this is extremely dangerous! Luna (his sister) was already singed by this (I am supposing he turned the burner on and for some reason- as she NEVER jumps up on counters or such) she jumped up and into the flame. I smelled such an awful burnt scent which worsened when she hoped up in my lap. Her whiskers are curled and frayed from the fire! I am guessing the only option is to remove the knobs- unless there are other ideas??? I have considered just keeping large pots of water over every burner at all times as backup... I'd love to hear any suggestions you all may have.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bf takes the knobs off and only puts them on when he wants to cook.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those safety first ones are the ones we used- he still was able to turn on the stove!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like that shield! That just might work. I am going to order it now. He's such a smart kitty AND he's just mischievous- a naughty combination. Thanks to him my teens now have perfectly clean rooms- they were tired of kitty tricks destroying their stuff and hiding spots from which he could secretly pounce on them. So- he's not all bad :)

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a rascal! You can have my cat to join him. He always tries to jump on the stove when I am cooking to steal our food. And his sister jumps in the fridge every time I open it! I have to lock them out when I cook now. Maybe take the knobs off at night.