Suggestions and/or What to look for?

sabrinafaire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been doing a lot of searching here and wonder if anyone could boil it down for me. What do I look for in a cat food? I know by-products are bad, and I'm learning that grains are too. Didn't know that. What else?

Here's my sitch. I've had Hobbs for 10 years. He's healthy if a little chubby and fairly active. Vet has said he doesn't need to be on a senior formula. When I first got him I had him on Nutro Max which he liked. But then I had some financial issues and had to switch him to PetSmart's Authority. Couple of years later he developed UTI problems and I put him on Purina ONE with the urinary formula. He was on that for years and then developed an allergy to it. (Or so we think, switching him off of it stopped the vomiting) Financial issues having been resolved, I put him back on Nutro again for several years. Until the recall this summer. He was out and I went to the store to pick some up and the shelves were bare. I thought it was odd because there was plenty of other stuff. He's never been picky so I picked up a bag of Authority and figured it would do for now. Few days later I heard about the recall and how Nutro had been bought by another company the year prior. I wasn't too happy about it. He'd always liked Authority so I figured I'd stick with that. Until he started having the most ungodly poops. I guess the poops themselves aren't of the devil but the smell sure is. The box is in the room next to my computer and I'm out of work so I spend a lot of time here and I'm pretty sure I have no nose hairs left. We're getting to the end of the bag so it's time to get something else.

So to sum it up I want something better for him. He's had UTI problems in the past but it's been several years since with no flair ups or other problems. He's a little chunky but you wouldn't mistake him for a sausage with legs. I've been looking at EVO by Natura and it has the added benefit of being made less than an hour from here. (wonder if they're hiring...)

Thanks in advance!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and Welcome Back ... If comfortable which part of omaha are you? ....

Petsmart and petco have a similar food to evo called wilderness by blue...

By products are not all bad .... Just in a dry form called by product meal you have NO idea what amount of what is in it ... ie it could be 75% bone and 25% organs which is far from a ideal food for kitty...

Grains are NOT needed ... the MAIN vet manual states dogs and cat s HAVE NO need for Carbs ... Grains are carb heavy ... In many NO GRAINS they use LOTS of potato and veggie s which IMHO is = to a grain...

Have you TAKEN him to the vet about the wt and gotten a plan for lose ? If NOT PLEASE do prior to changing food ...

Grain free drys ARE NOT UTI friendly ... you have been on food s that are

Do you feed wet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinafaire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
NW side of Omaha. I guess that's vague enough.

The vet has said to try to exercise him more, which I do, but has said he doesn't NEED to be on a special diet and to feed him whatever I feel is appropriate.

He gets wet food on occasion, for special days like his birthday, holidays, etc. Works out to be once or twice a month depending on what's going on. Should he get it more regularly?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes vague but clear enough
I used to live there
I was in the Millard area ...

How much dry is eating a day?? and did the vet say what he should weigh?

wet contains roughly half the calories of dry oz for oz and it can help avoid utis and give moisture
\\
at 10 do not tell but he is a senior and you may want senior dry ( on ave less calories
) with any wet

sabrinafaire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they have The Amazing Pizza Machine when you were hear? Because I can't hear "Millard" without wanting to say it in that voice from the commercials "...in Millard!" Yeah. Too much time on my hands.

I give him ~ 2/3c day but he RARELY eats that much. And no, the vet didn't say what he should weigh.

sabrinafaire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Funny little follow up to this...

I went to the pet food store by me that sells Evo. The owner was nice and offered me a sample just in case Hobbs didn't like it, I could always return the bag. Well I got home and set the bag on the kitchen table and went off to do other things. A little bit later I hear the rustling of the plastic it came in (also bought some canned food to go with it). Well sure enough Hobbs was up on the table and trying to rip open the new bag of food! He didn't get it open, thankfully, but he did put a big gash in the outer bag. I suppose I don't have to worry about him not liking the new food! (And he liked the sample so I think we're good to go)