Suddenly vocalizing a ton yet jumping around, eating, looks fine

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Because of a cold snap,, we've had space heater on for kitties and have also left a small light on where they sleep. Have been trying to get our 1 unspayed kitty into clinic where she doesn't have to remain overnight and they have been super busy. Could the extra heat provided by space heater and light on all the time have sent her into heat now in January? i know that people can't provide medical advice, but I just have no experience with all this vocalization
Also, she seems to be patrolling more and scratching in some places on floor. The other cats are not at all.Is patrolling a sign of heat? Thank you.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, two of my cats used to vocalise so much that their voice had changed (went back to normal after spaying). So vocalisation is certainly a part of being in heat. It sounds very distressing to us, but there is little you can do about it. I have had some success with using catnip to calm them down, it doesn't last long, but helps. Maybe you can try that.

As for patrolling, not sure what you mean. But I have seen my cats wanting to escape and used to consistently sit near the door.

How old is your cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Will try catnip!.Patrolling means going around perimeters of rooms and in and out of nooks, crannies. Other cats do, too, it's just that now it's more pronounced and so is pawing at spots on carpet behind some furniture. I might suspect a critter that's not supp to be in walls except that haven't heard anything and other cats are totally normal.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Depending on where you live, January can be the start of the breeding season (Northern Hemisphere). Is she showing other signs of coming into heat, like being super affectionate? The vocalization and patrolling could be signs (I would take the patrolling as being restless), but typically there will be other signs as well, like spraying, and raising her hindquarters. If her vocalization isn't "yowling", then it probably isn't her going into heat though. Maybe she doesn't like having a light on while trying to sleep :wink:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In some parts of So Cal, cats can stay in season almost all year due to the heat. In years which have been generally hot, I have had feral litters born in November.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks, green j,sarah -- in pac nw. meowing in demanding way, not calling. is a bit more affectionate in that she'll curl up by my feet a bit. i turned off light overnight. catnip seems to work a bit we have a bunch of it in herb form and i just put it down and she gobbled it up. vocalization is less than yesterday. she is cuddling in bed w other cat.