Suddenly Sick Kitten

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday Kratos (5-month old siberian) was sleeping a lot more than usual. He wasn't his usually energetic self and didn't eat much, but I didn't think too much about it. But he didn't come to the bedroom last night like he has every night since we got him 6 weeks ago. When I got up this morning I found him on the couch in the same exact place we left him when we went to bed last night.

All day all he wanted to do was sleep. He wouldn't eat, wouldn't play with his favorite toy, wouldn't play with Shiva (our 10-month old siberian) when she started pestering him...just totally lethargic and uninterested in anything.

I got him a vet appointment at 1:30 and he was checked out. He had a slight fever of 102.9°F versus the more normal 102.5° or so. Vet put him on antibiotics (Clavamox) and took blood for testing, which we'll have the results of on Monday.

This evening he finally started to show some small signs of normalcy...kneading, getting off the couch and sitting up to watch me play with Shiva (but he still didn't engage in the play himself). His eyes looked almost normal as opposed to being at half-mast like they've been all today and yesterday.

Took his temp again just now (twice) and it read 105.5°...if the thermometer from Petco is to be believed. I pushed 3 mL of water down him, but if his temp really is that high then I'm very concerned about him, as 106° is severely dangerous territory.

Also, no vomiting or diarrhea that I know of, so bowel obstruction is ruled out.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'm very sorry you didn't get a reply - how are things now? I'm sure you've thought of just about everything there is to think about, --but is there any way he ate something he shouldn't have?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet said that if he'd eaten something bad, he'd either be vomiting or diarrhea, and I've not noticed either one.

This morning he finally showed a bit of interest in food and he urinated, so those are both good signs. He's a bit more alert, but still fairly lethargic. Really good news is that his temp was back down to 102° and his morning.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that’s an impressive temperature! One way to test a thermometer is to test it on yourself. You don’t have to put it in your mouth, an under-am temperature should be 97.5-98.1℉.

Glad his temperature is lower.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blood work came back all negative. White cell count was normal and no Leukemia or AIDS.

4 days out from all this and he's back to normal now, so it seems that either the antibiotics did the trick or he would have gotten over whatever it was naturally. Either way he's better and that's all I care about. His stamina is slowly returning, but the play and eating has returned in full.