Suddenly Lost My Girl To Lymphoma.

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After taking my girl to the vet over a suspected UTI or hair blockage, within three hours of being in the office, we found out she had intestinal lymphoma. The tumour was very large, almost 4 inches across. And yet, we didn’t recognise any signs until it was too late.

Four days before we took her to the vet, she had become increasingly lethargic and lost interest in her toys. She was spending a lot of time in the window, sleeping. Once the most talkative cat (she even talked in her sleep, and it was adorable), she was rarely speaking to us. Sometimes she would be quiet for a few days while dealing with a hairball. This usually lasted a maximum of three days. I knew something was wrong this time.

After receiving the devastating news, I left with prednisolone in hand, expecting her to at least live for the next few weeks. The vet warned me that we may have to say goodbye over the weekend. We gave her two doses. But overnight, it was just so bad. Her breathing was heavy and her tail was puffed up and flicking. She wanted to be alone.

She was always so present, like a shadow following us around the house, talking to us constantly and demanding our full attention and every ounce of love we had. She had *never* wanted to be alone. She slept on my chest and I would wake up to her pawing at my face. She wasn’t there now. I knew she was trying to be there, but that she did not have the strength.

I looked in her eyes and I knew it was time. I could see so much pain in them, and I saw how weak her body had become in such a short time. I couldn’t bring myself to believe what was happening, I thought that the two different vets that saw her could be wrong, and that there might still be hope. We took her in to say goodbye the next day. I was so devastated that the receptionist and vet cried with us as we said goodbye. Making that decision is the hardest thing I have ever had to do, and my heart feels so broken.

She was a foster cat that I adopted after several months. When we first took her home, she was so ill. Undiagnosed severe skin allergies (an immune response to rodent ulcer), and a tooth infection which led her to have most of her teeth extracted. After 4 courses of antibiotics, steroids, and various other medications (as well as weekly trips to the vet), we had finally found a medication which worked for her allergies, it was like a miracle. She seemed so healthy and happy. She gained weight and her coat was beautiful. I thought I had healed her, and she was so young that the idea of cancer is not something that crossed my mind. I feel now that I failed her. I was so attentive to her health, but I had somehow missed this underlying cancer.

I miss her so much. She helped me through a dark period of my life, and I think I saved her too. I am so lucky to have had her in my life. It has been so hard though, especially given how quickly this all happened. She was always present, and now she is just gone. I wish I had taken her to the vet earlier, as maybe if we tried to give her the medication a week earlier, she might still be with us now—even if only for a short while. I have so much guilt. I wish I had noticed that something was wrong before it was too late. She hid it so well though. But still, I feel such pain and emptiness. I know many of you are feeling this too. I hope that I can find strength in these next few weeks. I just miss her so much. It is like a piece of me is missing, and I what happened to her is so unfair. She was the kindest and most caring animal I had ever met, and the relationship I shared with her felt so strong.

Thank you for reading this, and I am so sorry if you are also going through this pain. I just needed to write this.
X

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cancer is truly so incredibly unfair, and you absolutely did not fail her, I promise.

It sounds as though she had a wonderful life with you and I'm so glad you had each other. Your vet sounds fantastic as well.

RIP sweetheart, you are now in a place of peace and forever sunshine.

If you aren't familiar with this, it might help a little;

Lend Me A Kitten

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Dear Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so, so sorry. Let go of that guilt, Darlin. They do hid illness so very well, and we can't be more than human, can we? What she knew of joy and love, she learned from you. And you were with her every step of that last journey. You held her and helped her to slip off that heavy coat of flesh and fur that could no longer support her loving heart and sweet spirit. And now she dances on sunlight in a place where eternity is but a moment. Once day in the fullness of time, you, too, will shrug off your coat of flesh and dance with her in joyous reunion. Until that time comes, dance on, Dear Cat Friend, dance on!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your little friend, but it is very obvious reading this heartwarming story how very much you loved and cared for her and how much she loved you. We ALWAYS feel that it is our fault when they pass, "I should've noticed this earlier", and "why didn't I do this instead" or "I should've tried this instead" are all common thoughts and that is the grief talking and it will play nasty mental and physical games with you for awhile, but you did nothing wrong everything that you did was RIGHT, they hide things from us until the disease is obvious and it is too late to do anything about it but to put them out of their misery, but it is one of the hardest and most awful things that we will ever do in this life, but it was done to release her from her pain riddled body and it was done with love and that cannot be wrong. She is fine now, just fine, happy and talking away, and you will listen to her talk again one day and she will say "THANK YOU for taking such good care of me when I was with you, I love you and am so happy to see you again!!!!"

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

WinniesMomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I had to say goodbye to my girl two months ago. We thought she had IBD from the beginning of this year, but was also told it was possibly intestinal lymphoma. She did well for a few months until she, like your baby, wasn't herself. The medication, fluids and anti-nausea weren't helping, and she stopped eating, cleaning, playing. Ultimately we had to make that decision, too. Cats do so well at hiding their illness. I'm so sorry for your loss.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cancer is natures greatest confusion. It's been linked to a lot of things and genetics is one of the top links we have to go on at this stage.
You did nothing wrong and absolutely everything right. There are claims all over the place that feeding a special food or a special diet, or not doing this or doing that or using this special supplement will somehow "prevent" cancer. It's bogus, a money maker.
We've fed our pets a raw diet for decades, before it was "en vogue". Nothing pisses me off more than a raw food company saying their food will "prevent cancer". Nothing pisses me off more than a supplement company saying their product will "prevent cancer". If cancer is in the genetic make up, you can't prevent it. And for us owners, that just plain sucks :(
Intestinal lymphoma is nasty business. You didn't "give" her this cancer or somehow "not" prevent it, my feeling is even in utero the genetics are in the cards and if they get a bad hand, they get a bad hand. Many of us have lost pets to cancers at young ages, people have lost children at a year old to cancer. You can't prevent it, can't control it, and sometimes you can't even treat it. I've been there and many others here have as well.
You did nothing wrong, just remember that. She sounds like a little cat who was loved to the ends of the earth and got the best family she could have wanted. I know I want my pets to live a long life, but if they have 5 good loved years with us, it beats 5 1/2 years of hell.
Euthanasia is emotional and upsetting. I don't do it on a whim but when they go from great to not good to feeling horrible in such a short period of time, with a diagnosis that can be deadly, weighing their quality of life over our feelings is something we need to do. From what I've read, I would have done the same thing as you.
:grouphug: Chin up. It's rough, but you'll be OK, and you're welcome to come here anytime you want to talk :alright:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A big part of your life is missing, and it takes a long time to fill that emptiness. Don't feel guilt over thinking you could have saved her if you would have found the diagnosis sooner, the truth is, cats are so good at hiding pain and illness and cancer is most likely going to continue it's deadly course no matter what is tried. A few days or months might be gained, but at what cost? Fear and suffering that comes with vet visits, terrifying procedures and prolonged pain and suffering? You would never want that for that sweet little girl, and if she could tell you she wouldn't want that, she would. You gave her everything she ever wanted, love and a beautiful home. Now you are remembering her and honoring her memory, no one could ask for more.
The bond you formed with her will be with you always, it is a part of you. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and you know your love will live forever. She will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers, she will live on spiritually through you now, so send her thoughts of love and joy in life, not sadness and tears. Be gentle on yourself, there is nothing to be gained by beating yourself up over all those should haves, could haves. The situation was beyond your control and you cannot hold guilt without intention to do harm. All you wanted was to love her and that you did well, and she knows that. What you do out of love cannot be wrong.
This pain is something to be worked through, to be dissected, studied, and somehow managed until it is put into a place in our lives. It is personal and unique to every person that goes through it, NOONE will feel what you are feeling right now because it is a part of you and noone else. We can empathize because we have stood where you are standing now. I wish we could take that pain from you, but we all have our own and can only offer comfort and understanding.
Please know you are not alone, that by coming here you are sharing what you are going through and telling the story of such a sweet little girl's life brings honor to her memory and now many can send her prayers and let her know she will be remembered, that her life here will leave a mark on this world. As it will forever be a part of your own life's journey, a very important part. Take care of yourself, take plenty of time to heal that broken heart. It takes a long time, one day at a time......RIP dear precious one. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cancer is natures greatest confusion. It's been linked to a lot of things and genetics is one of the top links we have to go on at this stage.
You did nothing wrong and absolutely everything right. There are claims all over the place that feeding a special food or a special diet, or not doing this or doing that or using this special supplement will somehow "prevent" cancer. It's bogus, a money maker.
We've fed our pets a raw diet for decades, before it was "en vogue". Nothing pisses me off more than a raw food company saying their food will "prevent cancer". Nothing pisses me off more than a supplement company saying their product will "prevent cancer". If cancer is in the genetic make up, you can't prevent it. And for us owners, that just plain sucks :(
Intestinal lymphoma is nasty business. You didn't "give" her this cancer or somehow "not" prevent it, my feeling is even in utero the genetics are in the cards and if they get a bad hand, they get a bad hand. Many of us have lost pets to cancers at young ages, people have lost children at a year old to cancer. You can't prevent it, can't control it, and sometimes you can't even treat it. I've been there and many others here have as well.
You did nothing wrong, just remember that. She sounds like a little cat who was loved to the ends of the earth and got the best family she could have wanted. I know I want my pets to live a long life, but if they have 5 good loved years with us, it beats 5 1/2 years of hell.
Euthanasia is emotional and upsetting. I don't do it on a whim but when they go from great to not good to feeling horrible in such a short period of time, with a diagnosis that can be deadly, weighing their quality of life over our feelings is something we need to do. From what I've read, I would have done the same thing as you.
:grouphug: Chin up. It's rough, but you'll be OK, and you're welcome to come here anytime you want to talk :alright:
Thank you so much for this. Your words are very comforting to me, and it's true that cancer is awful (in both animals and humans), as well as totally unpredictable. I think I will come to terms with this over time. I lost a friend to it recently too, which has perhaps made things harder for me now. I am doing better each day, although it still hurts so much.
Thank you again.

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A big part of your life is missing, and it takes a long time to fill that emptiness. Don't feel guilt over thinking you could have saved her if you would have found the diagnosis sooner, the truth is, cats are so good at hiding pain and illness and cancer is most likely going to continue it's deadly course no matter what is tried. A few days or months might be gained, but at what cost? Fear and suffering that comes with vet visits, terrifying procedures and prolonged pain and suffering? You would never want that for that sweet little girl, and if she could tell you she wouldn't want that, she would. You gave her everything she ever wanted, love and a beautiful home. Now you are remembering her and honoring her memory, no one could ask for more.
The bond you formed with her will be with you always, it is a part of you. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and you know your love will live forever. She will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers, she will live on spiritually through you now, so send her thoughts of love and joy in life, not sadness and tears. Be gentle on yourself, there is nothing to be gained by beating yourself up over all those should haves, could haves. The situation was beyond your control and you cannot hold guilt without intention to do harm. All you wanted was to love her and that you did well, and she knows that. What you do out of love cannot be wrong.
This pain is something to be worked through, to be dissected, studied, and somehow managed until it is put into a place in our lives. It is personal and unique to every person that goes through it, NOONE will feel what you are feeling right now because it is a part of you and noone else. We can empathize because we have stood where you are standing now. I wish we could take that pain from you, but we all have our own and can only offer comfort and understanding.
Please know you are not alone, that by coming here you are sharing what you are going through and telling the story of such a sweet little girl's life brings honor to her memory and now many can send her prayers and let her know she will be remembered, that her life here will leave a mark on this world. As it will forever be a part of your own life's journey, a very important part. Take care of yourself, take plenty of time to heal that broken heart. It takes a long time, one day at a time......RIP dear precious one. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Your response brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much. I am very grateful for your words. I will carry her with me wherever I go. X

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I had to say goodbye to my girl two months ago. We thought she had IBD from the beginning of this year, but was also told it was possibly intestinal lymphoma. She did well for a few months until she, like your baby, wasn't herself. The medication, fluids and anti-nausea weren't helping, and she stopped eating, cleaning, playing. Ultimately we had to make that decision, too. Cats do so well at hiding their illness. I'm so sorry for your loss.
I am so sorry that you lost your girl. It was watching the decline of her health that hurt so much. I am so glad that you got to spend some time together after having an initial diagnosis though, even though that must have been very hard to watch. I am sure she is watching over you now, and thanking you for loving her. Thank you for reaching out to me. I feel like maybe our cats have found each other. X

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your little friend, but it is very obvious reading this heartwarming story how very much you loved and cared for her and how much she loved you. We ALWAYS feel that it is our fault when they pass, "I should've noticed this earlier", and "why didn't I do this instead" or "I should've tried this instead" are all common thoughts and that is the grief talking and it will play nasty mental and physical games with you for awhile, but you did nothing wrong everything that you did was RIGHT, they hide things from us until the disease is obvious and it is too late to do anything about it but to put them out of their misery, but it is one of the hardest and most awful things that we will ever do in this life, but it was done to release her from her pain riddled body and it was done with love and that cannot be wrong. She is fine now, just fine, happy and talking away, and you will listen to her talk again one day and she will say "THANK YOU for taking such good care of me when I was with you, I love you and am so happy to see you again!!!!"

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:
Thank you for your compassion and comfort :hugs::redheartpump: I did and will always love her.

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Dear Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so, so sorry. Let go of that guilt, Darlin. They do hid illness so very well, and we can't be more than human, can we? What she knew of joy and love, she learned from you. And you were with her every step of that last journey. You held her and helped her to slip off that heavy coat of flesh and fur that could no longer support her loving heart and sweet spirit. And now she dances on sunlight in a place where eternity is but a moment. Once day in the fullness of time, you, too, will shrug off your coat of flesh and dance with her in joyous reunion. Until that time comes, dance on, Dear Cat Friend, dance on!
Thank you so much :hugs::redheartpump:

abby-anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cancer is truly so incredibly unfair, and you absolutely did not fail her, I promise.

It sounds as though she had a wonderful life with you and I'm so glad you had each other. Your vet sounds fantastic as well.

RIP sweetheart, you are now in a place of peace and forever sunshine.

If you aren't familiar with this, it might help a little;

Lend Me A Kitten
Thank you for that beautiful link and your kind words. I am very lucky to have found this vet and could not have gone through it without her. I think the compassion I received at the vet office really made all of the difference. Thank you. :hugs:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::grouphug: I’m so sorry for your loss!:alright: I believe many cats enter our life for a reason. Perhaps she came to you to help you through a dark period of your life? My bud Dante got me through a year of agonizing pain and I miss him being by my side still. I am thankful he came into my life and passed the torch to my kitten. I know my words can offer so little comfort to you as your heart is hurting. I found talking to my bud while I pet a cat helped me miss him a little less. Someone here suggested it and it helped.

CAF3E20A-3AAD-4CE5-8D81-1E91B02658EB.jpeg

FBA4BC66-8F08-43CE-ACB8-760F3E8FB85D.jpeg

WinniesMomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your girl. It was watching the decline of her health that hurt so much. I am so glad that you got to spend some time together after having an initial diagnosis though, even though that must have been very hard to watch. I am sure she is watching over you now, and thanking you for loving her. Thank you for reaching out to me. I feel like maybe our cats have found each other. X
Thank you so much. My boyfriend said that if he ever gets sick he feels he'll be in great hands, because of all that I did for her. That touched me and surprised me because to me, it wasn't even a thought, I just did it.
Unfortunately when we have those bonds we have to make that difficult choice and put them ahead of us.
I am sure your baby is watching over you as well and is thankful for the life and love you gave. I do hope our kitties found each other. :hearthrob:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::grouphug: I’m so sorry for your loss!:alright: I believe many cats enter our life for a reason. Perhaps she came to you to help you through a dark period of your life? My bud Dante got me through a year of agonizing pain and I miss him being by my side still. I am thankful he came into my life and passed the torch to my kitten. I know my words can offer so little comfort to you as your heart is hurting. I found talking to my bud while I pet a cat helped me miss him a little less. Someone here suggested it and it helped.

View attachment 287723

View attachment 287724
:bawling2:.............there's something in my eye.
;):redheartpump: