Sudden Yowling

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 16 year old girl who just suddenly started meowing loudly a lot. Mainly at night, but sometimes during the day. If she is lying with me she is fine, but when she goes into her box in the kitchen she starts yowling a lot. I took her to the vet and had her run blood work. Everything including her thyroid came back normal. The vet said it may be a mix of some eyesight loss and possible cognitive decline. She prescribed her 25mg of Gabapentin at night since she has arthritis and incase it is start of dementia causing anxiety. The Gabapentin has not helped as far as the meowing goes. Does anyone have any suggestions. Do dementia symptoms start that suddenly? She went from a quiet cat to driving us crazy in what seemed like a day. Should I have further tests done or give her something else for these symptoms?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would recommend contacting the vet to see about dosage changes or changes in medication/additional meds. The dementia was probably gradual onset, with symptoms so subtle you didn't even notice. I didn't notice with my Redman until he slapped the dog. Then I knew something was wrong. The dog was his best friend. They played together and he would have rather hang out with him than the other cats. I wish you both the best of luck. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would recommend contacting the vet to see about dosage changes or changes in medication/additional meds. The dementia was probably gradual onset, with symptoms so subtle you didn't even notice. I didn't notice with my Redman until he slapped the dog. Then I knew something was wrong. The dog was his best friend. They played together and he would have rather hang out with him than the other cats. I wish you both the best of luck. Please keep us posted.
I am going to reach out to her tomorrow and see what she says. She has only been on the Gabapentin for about 10 days.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@feehas a great suggestion. UTIs can wreak havoc.
I am going to look into that. She isn’t showing any other signs of uti, but will definitely try to get a urinalysis done this week.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, based on my personal experience, an infection would not necessarily show up in the blood work. I am not saying that this is your cat's issue, but it needs to be ruled out.
Okay I am going to call and talk to the vet to see if we can get her in for a urinalysis this week. Thanks for the suggestion.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she has one of those cardboard cat houses she sleeps in a lot. She doesn’t seem to have any issues in the litter box.
Oh ok I would still agree to try to get a urinalysis done for her.
I'm sorry she is going through this. I hope you and the vet can figure out what is going on.
Will you keep us posted

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There really is not much that can help with dementia, but if different dosages/renditions of the Gabapentin don't work, you can ask about trying Bupenorphine. The beauty of it is that it is such a very, very small amount to syringe in her mouth, that it is pretty easy to do.

The other thing to consider is night-lights around the home to help if she is experiencing some sight loss.

I'll keep thinking...

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There really is not much that can help with dementia, but if different dosages/renditions of the Gabapentin don't work, you can ask about trying Bupenorphine. The beauty of it is that it is such a very, very small amount to syringe in her mouth, that it is pretty easy to do.

The other thing to consider is night-lights around the home to help if she is experiencing some sight loss.

I'll keep thinking...
Thank you! Our boy who has since passed was on bupenorphine for a short period after some bladder issues. We leave some small lights on in the kitchen for her. I would love for it to be something easily treatable, but will do what we can for her if it’s not :(

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No UTI.
Some nights she doesn't make a peep and others she yowls for hours. The vet added an additional dosage of gabapentin to see if it will help. I am at a loss. It would break my heart to put her in a room by herself at night, but it may have to come to that.:(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good about no UTI!!! Didn't you say if she is with you she doesn't tend to make as much noise? Is it not possible to have her sleep with you? Or get her another cardboard cat house to put in your bedroom, and another litter box in there as well. That way she doesn't have to be too far away from you and has closer access to a litter box overnight, so she doesn't have to travel to the kitchen. You might also consider a heartbeat toy or a ticking clock to give her at night to see if they might calm her.

IMO, the worst thing you can do is isolate her to a room overnight, as that is most likely going to cause additional anxiety which can be a trigger with dementia. Please keep working on other possible solutions before you resort to this.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good about no UTI!!! Didn't you say if she is with you she doesn't tend to make as much noise? Is it not possible to have her sleep with you? Or get her another cardboard cat house to put in your bedroom, and another litter box in there as well. That way she doesn't have to be too far away from you and has closer access to a litter box overnight, so she doesn't have to travel to the kitchen. You might also consider a heartbeat toy or a ticking clock to give her at night to see if they might calm her.

IMO, the worst thing you can do is isolate her to a room overnight, as that is most likely going to cause additional anxiety which can be a trigger with dementia. Please keep working on other possible solutions before you resort to this.
She has 3 cardboard box houses in 3 rooms of the house and soft houses/towers in every other room besides our bathrooms but she prefers to sleep in the one in the kitchen. We have litter boxes in 3 separate rooms as well. I sleep on the couch the majority of the time and I bring her with me. If she falls asleep she is fine all night , but once she gets in that meowing mode she will get pet for a few and then head to the kitchen to meow. I can keep getting her and she will go back. I’ve brought the box into the living room and she goes and sits at its spot and meows. She honestly really only meows in the kitchen, but it’s also the place she prefers to be. It’s like if she’s with me prior to the meowing starting she’s fine, but once it starts it’s an 8 hour fest.
She has been with us for 16 years and I know she can’t help whatever is going on so I will absolutely exhaust all other options first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try to place her in the litter box before you go to sleep on the couch and see if she will go. Maybe even give her a treat/snack too. If she needs to go to the litter box in the middle of the night, or wants a snack, it could be waking her up and then that starts the pattern. I'm not saying it will work, but it is another thing to try. I'll keep thinking...