Sudden Weird Eye

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my crazy lady Miss Kitty suddenly has a wonky eye. I did not notice anything last night when I fed everyone. Today she slept all day (not unusual) and when she emerged this evening, she was acting normal... but her one eye is more dilated and has a hazy green tint to the pupil. She is not blinking more than usual, and she is not rubbing it or anything. Could it just be something as simple as a scratched cornea from a tussle?
Her eyes are already different colors, so it looks even weirder than usual because of that.
What do you think it could be?
I plan on taking her into the vet tomorrow; I'm just wondering what it possibly could be in the mean time.

Normal Miss Kitty:
Normal Miss Kitty.jpg

Weird Eye Pic 1:
Weird Eyes 1.jpg

Weird Eye Pic 2:
Weird Eyes 2.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Miss Kitty is a beauty. Hopefully her eyes are back to normal today. If not, you're doing the right thing taking her to be checked out by the vet. Good luck.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like uveitis. Could be caused by nothing serious or it could be a symptom of something bad. Good call taking her to the vet. One of my girls had it a long time ago and all I can say is that it freaked me out when I saw it! Turned out to not be serious, but I went in thinking the worst.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, good that you're taking her to the vet. Pretty much any eye-related issues need a vet visit. This could be uveitis, like posiepurrs mentioned, or glaucoma. A dilated pupil could also indicate some injury to the eye, like a scratch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. My vet apparently could not fit us in today :hmmm: but she is going in first thing tomorrow morning.
She still looks the same today, although I swear her vision must be weird because she is looking around a little strangely (although she is a weird cat; a stray her whole life, so she's a little weird anyway! haha).
But still no signs of swelling, redness, discomfort, or itching- and she's still playing like the big ol' kitten that she is.

Something else interesting is happening though... my other cats must sense the weakness, as one guy in particular has been picking on her. He's a young (neutered) male, but he can be the annoying little bully of the house. I separated them last night, just for peace of mind for all.

Anyway, I'll update tomorrow after the vet visit!
Thanks!

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
Took her in today, and surprisingly she did SO well with all the poking and prodding.
Unfortunately it's not great news. She has permanent eye damage- her iris and cornea have fused together, most likely causing some vision loss.
And it's not from a current infection or injury.... *something* happened at some point before we found her three months ago that damaged the eye (but it was unseen until two days ago!).
Because of this, she has some mild glaucoma going on. But from what I'm reading, this will be an ongoing issue.
We have eye drops for her to make sure no infection starts.
Then we were refereed to an ophthalmologist for future issues. Yeesh.
Anyone have any insight? Haven't had a cat with eye issues before!

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Btw, here she is today.
She is definitely gently washing it today, and is very docile. I can tell it is bothering her a bit.

Attachments

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was a stray ? She's gorgeous . Anyway hope she's okay and the drops ahould help at least it's been noticed

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, believe it or not, she was a stray! We all wonder if someone took her in but then kicked her out when she got pregnant (she has had kittens before; at least a few months before we found her, according to her nipples and surrounding fur).
She fits all the criteria of a Turkish Van- but I bet she's just a "fluke" ;).
Either way, she's got a sore eye and I feel so bad for her. I think she's had it rough throughout her young life. Well, up until we found her 3 months ago! She's gained 3 pounds and her fur has filled out tremendously.
Her surrounding eye skin actually isn't inflamed at all- she is a very pink skinned cat, so she always kinda has that weird pink almost sickly look to her, around her eyes, nose, mouth, and ears! haha

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's very lucky you found her and took her in. Hopefully the treatment will, if not cure, stabilize the damage.