Sudden & Traumatic Death, Please Respond!

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The neighbour's cat would occasionally come into our backyard and leave. Three weeks ago, she came and waited outside our window and then walked into our house. We gave her some food and put her outside again. The next day, she came back. And kept willingly coming back everyday. It wasn't the food, because we would avoid feeding her as we did not want to give her the wrong thing. It was the love and attention that made her keep coming back.

She loved us. And we loved her so much. She would come to our house and she felt so comfortable. Often I would come home to see her waiting outside the door to be let in. She never wanted to go back to her owners house, but we would put her outside so she would. I'm not sure if she actually went back as she was an outside cat. I only ever fed her cat food, Whiskas cat milk and water. Nothing else.

Yesterday, she was fine. Her usual playful self. We then put her outside for a while, but she didnt go anywhere. She just walked around our yard for a minute and sat on the outside chairs. I then opened the door to call her inside, but she wouldnt move. This was very unusual, as she usually would run inside. I came back 15 minutes later and opened the door again, but she just looked at me. She was in the same spot. This was very odd, as not even shaking her food bowel was enough to make her move.

I walked outside to try to move her. Usually she would stand up straightaway to avoid it, but she just layed there and meowed. I tried to pick her up but it was hard because she was still laying down. I picked her up, took her inside and put her down on the couch. She stood on all four legs for about 15 seconds just fine as I patted her. But the moment she took a step, it was as if her back legs gave way. They buckled and she wobbled. She then tried to jump off the couch and she completely collapsed. She couldnt move. She was basically paralysed, laying on her side and she was gaping for air. I started to panic, picked her up and her mouth started foaming and something oozed out. Looked like either blood or food. I tried to sit her up so she wouldnt suffocate. I layed her down in the car and she coughed up foam one last time and stopped moving. She was still. Eyes wide open.

The emergency vet told me she was already dead. She didnt bother to find out exactly what was wrong but she suspected a bite or a toxin. I have no idea what it could have been... i have only ever fed her good quality food, there is no poison in our backyard and this all happened within minutes. I doubt it was a snake or anything as my backyard is small and mainly paved. The only thing I can think of was she occasionally wheezed and coughed on some days, but this looked like hairballs as she licked herself all the time.

I dont know how to live with myself. She was a young cat and i loved her so much. I took great care of her. She was the reason I woke up in the morning. My whole life feels like its been destroyed and my heart aches. I cant cant sleep and I cant stop crying.

Can anyone please offer me advice on what may have happened or how to grive this loss. Not moving much, weak collpasing legs, potentially paralyzed and collapsed, foaming from the mouth, substance oozing out and gaping for air... what happened...

I do not know who the owner is and she was not microschipped, so I dont know what to do...

Please help... i feel so horrible...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's anything you did wrong, cats that live outside can get into poison unfortunately. Did she look healthy, not too skinny?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like she might've had a stroke. Without a necropsy there really is no way to know. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, but I'm glad she was loved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's anything you did wrong, cats that live outside can get into poison unfortunately. Did she look healthy, not too skinny?
She was a slim cat, not overly skinny. She was only 2.5-3 years old

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The neighbour's cat would occasionally come into our backyard and leave. Three weeks ago, she came and waited outside our window and then walked into our house. We gave her some food and put her outside again. The next day, she came back. And kept willingly coming back everyday. It wasn't the food, because we would avoid feeding her as we did not want to give her the wrong thing. It was the love and attention that made her keep coming back.

She loved us. And we loved her so much. She would come to our house and she felt so comfortable. Often I would come home to see her waiting outside the door to be let in. She never wanted to go back to her owners house, but we would put her outside so she would. I'm not sure if she actually went back as she was an outside cat. I only ever fed her cat food, Whiskas cat milk and water. Nothing else.

Yesterday, she was fine. Her usual playful self. We then put her outside for a while, but she didnt go anywhere. She just walked around our yard for a minute and sat on the outside chairs. I then opened the door to call her inside, but she wouldnt move. This was very unusual, as she usually would run inside. I came back 15 minutes later and opened the door again, but she just looked at me. She was in the same spot. This was very odd, as not even shaking her food bowel was enough to make her move.

I walked outside to try to move her. Usually she would stand up straightaway to avoid it, but she just layed there and meowed. I tried to pick her up but it was hard because she was still laying down. I picked her up, took her inside and put her down on the couch. She stood on all four legs for about 15 seconds just fine as I patted her. But the moment she took a step, it was as if her back legs gave way. They buckled and she wobbled. She then tried to jump off the couch and she completely collapsed. She couldnt move. She was basically paralysed, laying on her side and she was gaping for air. I started to panic, picked her up and her mouth started foaming and something oozed out. Looked like either blood or food. I tried to sit her up so she wouldnt suffocate. I layed her down in the car and she coughed up foam one last time and stopped moving. She was still. Eyes wide open.

The emergency vet told me she was already dead. She didnt bother to find out exactly what was wrong but she suspected a bite or a toxin. I have no idea what it could have been... i have only ever fed her good quality food, there is no poison in our backyard and this all happened within minutes. I doubt it was a snake or anything as my backyard is small and mainly paved. The only thing I can think of was she occasionally wheezed and coughed on some days, but this looked like hairballs as she licked herself all the time.

I dont know how to live with myself. She was a young cat and i loved her so much. I took great care of her. She was the reason I woke up in the morning. My whole life feels like its been destroyed and my heart aches. I cant cant sleep and I cant stop crying.

Can anyone please offer me advice on what may have happened or how to grive this loss. Not moving much, weak collpasing legs, potentially paralyzed and collapsed, foaming from the mouth, substance oozing out and gaping for air... what happened...

I do not know who the owner is and she was not microschipped, so I dont know what to do...

Please help... i feel so horrible...
Update: I have found the owner and they now know about the situation. Hopefully they do an autopsy

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is quite possible she got into something poisonous outside your yard. Antifreeze is a common one that kills quite quickly. Sometimes it just pools on the road, and it's sweet-smelling, so animals are attracted to it. This is why it's dangerous to let cats roam. :(

But don't blame yourself. You weren't responsible for that decision, her owners were, and even if you'd wanted to, you didn't have the legal rights to decide her care. You were an innocent by-stander who made friends with her, and from the sounds of things, did a better job of it than her owners did.

Try to go easy on yourself and accept you did the best you could.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing your precious friend. I agree that it could have been a stroke or a venomous bite. I would search the yard for any strong, tangled webs and check them at night with a flashlight, for black widow spiders - they are lethal for cats. One almost killed me but it is much more rapid in cats.
Bless you for giving that precious girl days of happiness and love. Farewell, dear furry friend - may your spirit soar over the Bridge and into the arms of angels, to dwell once again with the ancestors and those yet to be born :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard of people poisoning cats they do not want around. Sadly this may have been deliberate.

Mr i need help asap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
^^ well said catsknowme she in better place dont be hard on your self u cared for her she obviously cared for you she at rainbowbridge now watching over you like all our furry friends watching over all of us one day we will be reunited but with tears of joy this time

AusLibCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry for your loss, it is never easy losing a furry loved one.

No one has mentioned it yet, lilies. They are poisonous to cats. If your friend had been visiting you for a while it is unlikely this was the cause, just in case, here’s some info:
Home

Grieve, it’s important you do, may be time for you to share your love with a fur baby from a shelter?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of people poisoning cats they do not want around. Sadly this may have been deliberate.
Typically, poisons, especially highly lethal ones and polyethylene glycol (radiator fluid), cause a lot of vomiting, with blood at the end, and horrible seizures.
At any rate, this is a tragedy for both the cat and all who loved her. :sniffle:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She could have eaten a poisoned rat or mouse too. There is absolutely nothing you did wrong and with how quickly she went nothing you could have done. It sounds like she really cared for you and felt safe with you.

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss, it is never easy losing a furry loved one.

No one has mentioned it yet, lilies. They are poisonous to cats. If your friend had been visiting you for a while it is unlikely this was the cause, just in case, here’s some info:
Home

Grieve, it’s important you do, may be time for you to share your love with a fur baby from a shelter?
I want a cat, but I'm scared. I do not know what killed my best friend and I am scared it will die again. I cannot bear to watch another cat die in front of my eyes. It was such a traumatizing scene that I cannot get out of my head. I will never forget the deep howl of agony she made when she fell... it is haunting me

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She could have eaten a poisoned rat or mouse too. There is absolutely nothing you did wrong and with how quickly she went nothing you could have done. It sounds like she really cared for you and felt safe with you.
From when she collapsed to when I got to the vet, it was only 15 minutes. She had passed within 5-10 minutes. I feel so scarred from the scene. It was horrifying and I cant help but feel heartbroken for such a beautiful sweet innocent helpless creature experiencing that. I hope the owners do an autopsy and let me know what happened so i can sleep better. I cant think of anything that may have happened just before she died. If it were poisoning it would have had to have been an hour or so before when she was roaming the neighbourhood. Is that possible?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Entirely. Someone leaves out rat poison, the rat dies, she takes a few bites and gets poisoned herself. One of the many reasons I rarely use posion or herbicides myself. I've heard of moms and their kittens dying when Mom brings the dead rat to the nest.

Don't let this experience scare you from pet ownership. You can keep your cat inside so you don't have to worry about a reoccurance. But the hard truth of life is the greatest experiences have the greatest risk. I love my cats dearly with every fiber of me. They are my children and I will outlive them. I will mourn their loss. I will miss them terribly when thay sad day comes. But until then I cherish the time we have together and enjoy every moment with them. Even knowing the eventual end doesn't take away from the joy of today.

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Entirely. Someone leaves out rat poison, the rat dies, she takes a few bites and gets poisoned herself. One of the many reasons I rarely use posion or herbicides myself. I've heard of moms and their kittens dying when Mom brings the dead rat to the nest.

Don't let this experience scare you from pet ownership. You can keep your cat inside so you don't have to worry about a reoccurance. But the hard truth of life is the greatest experiences have the greatest risk. I love my cats dearly with every fiber of me. They are my children and I will outlive them. I will mourn their loss. I will miss them terribly when thay sad day comes. But until then I cherish the time we have together and enjoy every moment with them. Even knowing the eventual end doesn't take away from the joy of today.
I have seen inside cats and they enjoy going outside. I would feel terrible if I forced a cat to stay inside forever

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry to hear about what happened. That sounds horrifying. :( You still did everything right though, so at the very least, try to take comfort in that? I know that it's really, really hard though. I'm so sorry.

I have seen inside cats and they enjoy going outside. I would feel terrible if I forced a cat to stay inside forever
It honestly depends on the cat, the cat's personality, and maybe the cat's background. Some indoor-only cats like to go outside, sure, but I have ten cats, and only one has the slightest interest in going outside -- the rest are completely terrified of going outdoors; I'd feel terrible forcing those cats to go out!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really depends on the cat. Some do want to go outside and there are safe options for them. Look up Adventure Cats for leash trained cats. You can also build a catio or have supervised outdoor time. I've done supervised outdoor time where I read a book for an hour while the cat play with bugs and leaves. Just call back if they get too far away and make sure you train well. It can work. But the vast majority of indoor only cats are perfectly content. Plenty of interaction with their humans, cat trees, toys and maybe some cat shelves. A few simple steps and a cat can have a fulfilling life in a home. The ones you see that are miserable are either treated like furniture or just shut down around strangers.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. You clearly loved the little cat so much. It is not your fault she passed. You did only good for her. There is no reason to try to guess what she died from. With outdoor kitties, it could be so many different things. She clearly loved you for loving her, so remember that.

Outdoor kitties usually only survive 3-4 years. Indoor cats average well over 10 years, closer to 14 I think. As Cataria said, some cats never want to go outside and some do. The majority of my cats were very happy indoors. I could leave the door wide open and they would sit at the threshold, but not take one step out. My senior now likes to go out on the patio or sit in the grass in the sunshine for a little while. I go out with him to watch and make sure he is safe.

Again, please don't blame yourself or wrack yourself with worry over the cause. That little cat will be waiting for you at the bridge. She is at peace now. Perhaps one of her fine purposes was to let you know how special a cat can be in your life. I can't imagine living without one (or more).

:angel: :alright: :grouphug2:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have three cats. All of them are indoor only. Only one has much interest in going outside. He goes out on a leash and harness and is perfectly happy with this. It is just safer than letting a cat roam the neighborhood.

Cats that go outside often are poisoned, killed by cars or dogs, or vanish and never come home.

So sorry for your loss!