Sudden Sensitivity At Base Of Tail. Vet Visit?

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was petting my cat and when I got to the base of his tail, he whipped around like he was uncomfortable. His back also seemed to ripple a bit. This is something new, as normally he loves having the base of his tail scratched. Otherwise, he seems perfectly fine. Also this is the only spot where this happens. Would this warrant a vet visit?

I know of feline hyperesthesia syndrome, but treatment for that is generally decreasing stress.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say if this continues, then a Vet visit might be in order. How old is he? FHS usually hits cats before 5 years of age, if memory serves. Plus it doesn't take petting to set them off. But he could have hurt his back somehow :sigh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks! He's 4 or 5 (got him as a stray) so perfect timing, I guess. I'm watching him for now, but if it continues, he's definitely going to the vet!

Squeakies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my parents' cats suddenly started licking wildly whenever scratched at the base of her tail, and rippled the skin on her back. No other issues at all, just seemed hyper-sensitive to that area and didn't want to be touched there.
Six months later she just randomly stopped. Never had any complications from it - that's not to say nothing's wrong, but there's at least one example where it was not an issue!