Sudden random hissing

tonkzart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pumpkin is certainly a unique cat - she was rescued at 6 months (nearly 4 years old now), and we don't have any knowledge of her life beforehand, but she is always full of confusing behaviors. Most of the time we chalk it up to her just being quirky, but this week has given me a bit of a scare.

Pumpkin belongs to my mother, but I live at home with my parents, so she is totally used to me being around and I am part of her daily routine/expectations. Parents have gone on vacation for the week, leaving me home alone with Pumpkin. I'll admit, having only one person around is a bit unusual for her, but it's far from the first time that this has happened - parents travel for vacation multiple times a year and I always watch Pumpkin, never having any real problems. I had to go to the ER a few nights ago, was discharged within a few hours, and spent the rest of the day catching up on sleep. Pumpkin even snuggled in bed with me, like she could tell I wasn't well. Her feeding schedule was not affected, but this is the only thing I can think of that would have changed anything. I've been home ever since, and Pumpkin has started hissing and yowling at me very suddenly. I haven't played with her or encouraged aggression in that way, and I haven't picked her up (which sometimes bothers her). She corners me in whatever room I'm in, rather than running away or hiding, and I have to wait for her to calm down just enough to leave the room myself (she still hisses as I pass by). About an hour ago, she approached me and I thought the hissing had passed; I let her sniff my hand, and all of a sudden she was screaming again.

She has had a hissing spell in the past, when the vet was trying an anti-anxiety medication that utterly backfired (another question for another thread), but that was months ago and she is long past any side effects from that medication. We have the Feliway diffuser, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't have any effect on her - we keep using it just to be consistent. It did occur to me that Pumpkin might be hurt or ill, but she won't let me near her to check, and I'm sure if I tried to put her in a carrier to take to the vet, she would attack. Usually, we get along like a house on fire, so it's dismaying to have her suddenly afraid of me for what seems to be no reason.

Any advice would be appreciated - thank you for reading this novel!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. Were you given meds to take upon your return home? Meds can change anyone's scent, and some cats can pick up on that change and react to it. If so, that could be the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonkzart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. Were you given meds to take upon your return home? Meds can change anyone's scent, and some cats can pick up on that change and react to it. If so, that could be the problem.
Nope, no meds. Good thinking, though! I can’t think of anything that would have changed my scent besides the general hospital smell, and that should have been gone by the point when she started hissing anyway…

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If they gave you any kind of injection, the chances are it could affect your scent and still may be lingering in your system.

Since she sounds like she is a high-anxiety cat, she may just be reacting to how you feel about your hospital visit. If the whole ordeal is bothering you, she has probably picked up on that.

I'd act normally with her, kind of blowing off the hissing, and see if it passes in the coming days. If not, or she has other outward signs of something being wrong with her, then it may be time for a vet visit. The timing seems to be just a bit too coincidental that she became ill at the same time of your hospital visit, but anything is possible I suppose,

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your not worried about your safety, the best bet would be to wait till the parents come home. If the behavior persists and is directed to them for more than a day or two, a vet trip would be warranted.

If you are worried about your safety, maybe it is worth a vet trip now. Even if there is no medical issue, they can prescribe a pet anxiety med.