Sudden Playtime Aggression

Pixxelated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to admit, I am a bit stumped with this one. Both our kittens are around 7 months old - boy and girl. The boy (Jamie) is neutered (has been for a while) and the girl (Clawdia) is booked in for her spay in the next few week.

They’re not related but they did grow up together. Never had any issues beyond the introduction, they’ve always been very close and always got along reasonably well. There are also no unknown health issues, as we they’ve both been to the vets last week for a check up. I do have to mention, as some of you might know, that our Jamie does have a brain injury but it’s fairly mild.

Recently though, the cats have not been getting along. And it’s coming from him mostly, he tries to engage her in play but gets too rough. He is a lot bigger than her, while this used to be the other way round. It’s like he doesn’t know his strength. She gets annoyed when he tries to play and he gets a swat and a hiss. Poor little Jamie, however, just doesn’t get the message.

Any ideas?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may have to let them settle this themselves. A hiss and a swat is pretty normal for that, and it may get to be a fairly hard swat before your bullheaded little boy gets the idea. This isn't a fight, by a long shot, and I pretty much believe that if there is no actual fight, and no one is terrified of another cat, they do better in the long run if they settle it themselves. The articles that rubysmama rubysmama suggested will give you lots of ideas for defusing much of this. Also, be sure to give your boy other outlets for that hunt/catch/kill instinct. Wand toys are great for this! Wear his furry fanny out several times a day!