Sudden Peeing In Unusual Places

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple of weeks ago, we lost a kitty we'd had for only 3 years to sudden kidney failure. Now, one of our other cats has suddenly started peeing in weird places. For example, my husband and I were in the kitchen making food, and he just walks in and proceeds to pee in the middle of the floor and then walk away like nothing was out of the ordinary! Of course, we have four litterboxes (one for each cat + one extra) and they're always kept clean.

I've heard that sometimes cats do this after one passes suddenly, but is it a medical issue? Is it stress? I'm not sure what to do - help!

xox-zip-xox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stress could be a reason he stopped using the litter box, but I would definitely have a urinalysis done just to rule out the possibility of a UTI regardless. Better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to male cats and urinary issues.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Time for the vet! Need to rule out any urinary issues caused by stress. Then work on decreasing his stress caused by his grief.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else - your kitty needs to go to the vet. While stress is one possible cause, a UTI or a blockage forming are also possible culprits. These are very serious in cats, so you should consider it an urgent situation for veterinary care. Better safe than sorry!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your other pet. :(

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 7 year old male cat Sonny peed on a chair right in front of my hubby and he had never done this before. I took him to the vet and found out he had a UTI. He was given antibiotics and resumed using the litterbox. This was very easy to treat because it was caught before he blocked up or had crystals in his urine. I