Sudden maniac episodes

pippin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My pal is the sweetest, gentlest, and friendlies moggy you'll find. He's had a few episodes over the last week (they just started at the beginning of this week, so it's really recent behavior) that are a little disconcerting though- he'll suddenly start looking about in a panic- like something spooked him, or there's an insect climbing on the wall. Then he'll dart off, dash around the house like a maniac and nearly knock stuff over- he seems terrified. At first I thought he was trying to play with me- but he seems really terrified- it doesn't seem like playtime at all. It's not his style.

I'm already pretty concerned over his rapid breathing issues (x-ray shows no lung problems, good appetite, drinking water)- I hope this is not one more issue- it seems to fit FHS, but I hope this is a transient thing- or could it be an underlying issue that is connected to the rapid breathing somehow? Anyone experienced something similar? I'm really hoping it's not FHS!

smartyfoj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm not sure about your cat since you say he is really in a panic.  If you can afford it the best thing to help ease your mind would be a vet visit. But my kitten since we took him home when he was 6 months last September has always had  crazy episodes. We actually nicknamed him crazy Joey because about two or three times a day he will sprint around the house like a madcat and attack anyone who dares to touch him. However, when Joey is not being crazy he is very sweet and gentle.  

But I agree the way you describe your cat's symptoms it sounds like FHS but I personally have no experience with FHS so maybe someone more knowledgeable will post.

I hope your kitty does not suffer from FHS but I'm sure you'll do the best you can for him.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know much about FHS but think there is a degree of twitching that is usually observed as well as other behaviours.  

It is not uncommon for cats to get startled to the point they jump up and suddenly run off without any aparent stimulous and Mouse will go through phases of doing this.  Like he's scared of his own shaddow.  He will do it for a week or two then settle, and a few months later he will do it again.  If you are worried I think SmartyFOJ is right, the best thing to do is arrange a vet appointment and to observe as many behaviours and describe them to your et.  Best of all, try to get short movies of them too.  That can be really helpful.

Good luck, I hope it is just that something has left your pal a bit jumpy or over excited for a bit and that it settles down, but only a vet can really tell you if there is something more serious going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys- am monitoring to see if there's any trigger that I might've missed (i have a few clues, so am re-arranging stuff to see how that goes).

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck with this, very much hoping it isn't anything serious like FHS.  If you can, it would be good to have an update to know how things work out.