sudden loss of use in hind legs

furry123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi , I have a 15 yr old cat who is diabetic and suffering from CKD he has been doing well but 3 days ago he became very wobbly when walking I assumed it was a symptom of his CKD but the following morning he had lost all use of his back legs.

I took him straight to my vet who done a sensory exam , he suggested it might be an Arthritis flare ( he also has arthritis) and prescribed anti inflammatory meds and complete rest, however after 3 days there doesnt seem to be any improvement ,I am so worried he wont be able to walk again, has any one ever come across this before or have any suggestions? 

His form is really good eating well and very alert.

Thanks

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has the vet done any tests? X-rays?

How does the color look in your cats back paw pads, compared to the front? Did he check the pulse in the back legs? How is he going to the bathroom? (Both).

Can you post a picture?

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi , I have a 15 yr old cat who is diabetic and suffering from CKD he has been doing well but 3 days ago he became very wobbly when walking I assumed it was a symptom of his CKD but the following morning he had lost all use of his back legs.

I took him straight to my vet who done a sensory exam , he suggested it might be an Arthritis flare ( he also has arthritis) and prescribed anti inflammatory meds and complete rest, however after 3 days there doesnt seem to be any improvement ,I am so worried he wont be able to walk again, has any one ever come across this before or have any suggestions? 

Thanks
I am concerned that your vet is wrong.  Sudden and complete (?) loss or rear leg function is serious.  I second @misterwhiskers  questions about x-rays, pulse and litter box.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

furry123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi no xrays but his pads front and back are pink and warm, pulse was also fine, he is incontinent so having to wash him and keep him on training mats.

he definitely has feeling in the legs because he twitches when I put my finger  at his pads, it may be worth mentioning that he was in for fluids for a couple for days and the day he came home decided he wanted out so i walked with him and he done a lot more walking than he usually would .I have just never heard or such a severe reaction with arthriris.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

Hi no xrays but his pads front and back are pink and warm, pulse was also fine, he is incontinent so having to wash him and keep him on training mats.

he definitely has feeling in the legs because he twitches when I put my finger  at his pads, it may be worth mentioning that he was in for fluids for a couple for days and the day he came home decided he wanted out so i walked with him and he done a lot more walking than he usually would .I have just never heard or such a severe reaction with arthriris.
was he incontinent before the hind leg weakness or only after?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks
i'm not sure that your boy's loss of use of his hind legs is for the same reason or can be treated the same way as dr. kris' cat zack, but the info at dr. kris' website about what he tried as well as what he didn't try (and the results) are at his website. here's a link to dr kris' blog entry about this -- http://www.iwillhelpyourcat.com/blog/2014/8/28/zack-vs-illness-it-aint-over-til-its-over

dr kris was a guest expert here on TCS months ago. he's a veterinarian. zack is his cat, who is 19 years old (maybe 20 years old by now) and has CKD.

i hope this helps, or at least gives some possibilities for your boy.

furry123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi detmut, it is only since he has been unable to walk, no problems before then.

furry123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing this link I am going to speak to my vet first thing in the morning, you have given me some hope for my theo , thank you again soo grateful