Sudden large lump on cat’s back?

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I have a large, overweight kitty named Peridot. I just discovered last night he has a huge lump on his back that as far as I know, was not there previously not even a day or so before. It’s not impossible that I missed it because he is fat, but considering how observant I am with my cats I’d consider it extremely unlikely that it has. Anyway, he was at the vet a month ago and it definitely was not there then.

The lump is almost golf ball sized and feels like it is in a layer of tissue lower than directly under the skin. It feels soft and fluid-y, not hard — not quite like when you subcutaneous fluids, but similar? It does not appear to be causing him any pain. He is eating/drinking/using the litter box normally. As far as I know, it appeared after the 12 hour car ride he took yesterday — just in case the drive somehow caused it.

Here’s my dilemma: I am of course going to take him to the vet to get this checked out, but we are out of town (cat included) visiting some friends. If necessary I can track down a vet or emergency vet, but does this sound like this is needed or can it wait? I can definitely get him in to his normal vet on Tuesday.

Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any lump is concerning, but the fact that it is soft and movable is good, cancer is hard and unmoving, and doesn't grow that fast. Sometimes when cats are injured, he could have rubbed or hit his back somehow when being transported, it forms a hematoma under the skin, a blood vessel was damaged and leaked under the skin. I have seen the skin separate from the deeper layers and fill with fluid too, but that is usually caused by something grabbing/picking them up by the skin. I, myself, would observe it closely for a few days and make sure it is getting smaller and being reabsorbed. If it starts causing pain, gets bigger, or doesn't get ANY smaller, in two days, I would call my vet. You could E-mail or call your regular vet and see what they say to give yourself peace of mind.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I have an appointment scheduled for him when I get home Tuesday. I will let you all know how it goes!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat had a smaller lump on his back and we took him to the vet. She told me it was something quite common (don't remember the name), but nothing to be concerned about. It went away on its own.