Sudden health issues (fluid in lungs, enlarged heart)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah I have been doing that for awhile. His breaths per minute are between 25 and 32 but his breathing still seems deep and labored. He ate one of those fancy feast appetizers, most of it anyways. Not ideal but better than nothing (there are no added vitamins).

I got his pills down again, he lets me pop them in his mouth with a pill masker (in a ball) whereas before he was getting them sandwiched with the pill masker in between temptation treats. He was taking them very well up until Sunday. That is when I noticed him not feeling well and snubbing food more and more.
Are his gums nice and pink, and not tacky or dry feeling? Also, just throwing this out there but is his stool normal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are his gums nice and pink, and not tacky or dry feeling? Also, just throwing this out there but is his stool normal?
I check those. I know to since my last cats died from losing oxygen (cancer is believed to have spread to his lungs). Stool seems fine although it is hard to tell between his and the ragdoll's cause they both go large (larger cats) but the ragdoll usually has more wetness from having tummy troubles.

Good news though, woke up this morning and he started rubbing my hand which he hasn't done in days. I asked him if he wanted to eat and he got out of bed. Got is med treats ready and he took them. Ate them all by himself without issue again. He also ate most of his food this morning.

I believe the one medication he got put back on was making him feel bad still so I opted to stop giving it to him last night. It is meant to work in conjunction with another pill for his flutters but did not work last time he was on it and I remember him having tummy troubles and just seeming depressed when he was on it.

I think the breathing may be due to his asthma so I am going to do a lot of cleaning this weekend and try to remove any possible allergens I can.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I check those. I know to since my last cats died from losing oxygen (cancer is believed to have spread to his lungs). Stool seems fine although it is hard to tell between his and the ragdoll's cause they both go large (larger cats) but the ragdoll usually has more wetness from having tummy troubles.

Good news though, woke up this morning and he started rubbing my hand which he hasn't done in days. I asked him if he wanted to eat and he got out of bed. Got is med treats ready and he took them. Ate them all by himself without issue again. He also ate most of his food this morning.

I believe the one medication he got put back on was making him feel bad still so I opted to stop giving it to him last night. It is meant to work in conjunction with another pill for his flutters but did not work last time he was on it and I remember him having tummy troubles and just seeming depressed when he was on it.

I think the breathing may be due to his asthma so I am going to do a lot of cleaning this weekend and try to remove any possible allergens I can.
It sounds like things are looking up! The deeper breathing could definitely be the asthma, especially since his BPM is pretty good. I hope he continues to improve, it's very exciting he woke up feeling better!!

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was sitting on me earlier and I noticed his breathing was faster so I timed it and it was at 48, then 44. It stayed at 44 so I have him another furosemide like that vet recommended and checked about 30 min later and it is down to 36. So I am going to have to switch him over to the new one torsemide. Hopefully his blood levels seem fine. He is going back in 10 or so days to make sure he is handling the medication okay. I guess this is just a more effective and stronger drug.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He was sitting on me earlier and I noticed his breathing was faster so I timed it and it was at 48, then 44. It stayed at 44 so I have him another furosemide like that vet recommended and checked about 30 min later and it is down to 36. So I am going to have to switch him over to the new one torsemide. Hopefully his blood levels seem fine. He is going back in 10 or so days to make sure he is handling the medication okay. I guess this is just a more effective and stronger drug.
You're doing a great job keeping a close eye on him. 🙂 Are you writing these things down so you and your vet can monitor what happens and when?

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're doing a great job keeping a close eye on him. 🙂 Are you writing these things down so you and your vet can monitor what happens and when?
I keep notes for everything. I have a hardcover spiral notebook for all the meds and changes. I am just trying to figure out of this is from asthma or if his heart failure is still progressing. I just can't tell. I am waiting to hear back from the vet. Going to send them a video.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His rate is staying above 40 again. He is otherwise acting mostly normal. Just keeps wanting food. I was told if it stays elevated after a few more days to take him back to the ER as he might need fluid to be drained. 😔

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry you are going through this, snd mostly that your cat is.

The diagnosis is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?

It would be a good idea to get a stethoscope and have the vet teach you how to listen to his lungs. This way it would allow you to know if there is fluid in his lungs.

Usually when a cat becomes uncomfortable, laying in different positions or odd areas for that particular cat, it is discomfort.

I personally have seen many cats with respiratory distress become hot, to were they will lay on the floor. Having breath when there is fluid in the chest is exhausting. It is always better to err on the side of caution snd take him in sooner than later.

Have they checked his thyroid?

Other thing to remember is that you need to become familiar with what is normal for your cat. It sounds like maybe you have figured that out.

To me, ( not a vet) that telling you to watch him for a couple of days when you have reported an increase in his respiratory effort and rate, is not okay. Sometimes when you call an ER, or any vet for that matter, you are only talking to the front office staff, and not the veterinarian. Keep that in mind.

I knew a cat named Panther. He was indoor outdoor and came in as an emergency for respiratory distress. The ultrasound probe showed fluid in his chest, and we removed about 240 ccs of fluid. A huge amount for a cat. He was hospitalized for a few days and went home on Lassix and a couple of other meds. He did okay, then was in and out of the hospital a few times before stabilizing. He lived over two years and with a good quality of life.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry you are going through this, snd mostly that your cat is.

The diagnosis is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?

It would be a good idea to get a stethoscope and have the vet teach you how to listen to his lungs. This way it would allow you to know if there is fluid in his lungs.

Usually when a cat becomes uncomfortable, laying in different positions or odd areas for that particular cat, it is discomfort.

I personally have seen many cats with respiratory distress become hot, to were they will lay on the floor. Having breath when there is fluid in the chest is exhausting. It is always better to err on the side of caution snd take him in sooner than later.

Have they checked his thyroid?

Other thing to remember is that you need to become familiar with what is normal for your cat. It sounds like maybe you have figured that out.

To me, ( not a vet) that telling you to watch him for a couple of days when you have reported an increase in his respiratory effort and rate, is not okay. Sometimes when you call an ER, or any vet for that matter, you are only talking to the front office staff, and not the veterinarian. Keep that in mind.

I knew a cat named Panther. He was indoor outdoor and came in as an emergency for respiratory distress. The ultrasound probe showed fluid in his chest, and we removed about 240 ccs of fluid. A huge amount for a cat. He was hospitalized for a few days and went home on Lassix and a couple of other meds. He did okay, then was in and out of the hospital a few times before stabilizing. He lived over two years and with a good quality of life.
He has been with the same heart doctor since his first heart failure which was last February. She checks his lungs, heart, does blood work, and listen to everything as well as monitor is arrhythmia every visit. She tells him each visit that he is her favorite patient because he loved everyone at the clinic, even lets him be outside of a cage cause he is well behaved. I feel I can trust them.

He goes every 2 to 3 months depending on how he is doing. I make notes for everything and have a file just for him. He has some fluid in December and had his water meds upped and it checked in January and it was gone but I guess it recently came back. He was due to go back at the end of the month but we opted to take him sooner as an ER visit because of his breathing. They are not concerned with his breathing right now. He does have some fluid but not enough to warrant it being drained. It is not in his lungs this time but around them. I am guessing this is why they are not as concerned? He is getting blood work done in a week to make sure his new medication is doing okay with his kidneys and xrays to make sure they are removing the fluid. He has not been in "heart failure" for about a year but is considered to be back in it with his recent check.

I am wondering if maybe he is having pain and maybe that is why he is having labored breathing despite there not being as much fluid? The first time he was loaded and could have died from it. I don't know if this sort of thing causes chest pain in cats but I know it can in humans. My father has heart failure that is being managed. He is on a lot of the same medication.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And for this, we talk directly with his doctor via e-mail. She saw a video of his breathing and just said to monitor it as it can take time for the new medication to remove the fluid. This clinic doesn't allow the front desk to relay messages like this.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is resting right now with one of the other cats and it is at 36 (resting breathing rate). Still labored but not as bad right now. I hope this means the meds are doing their job. His stomach is still moving too much for my liking. If it doesn't improve, I am not going to wait for his next appointment. I am too paranoid.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed last night his breathing was less labored and this morning as well. I am going to assume the pill is doing its job. He even cleaned himself right after eating which he hasn't done since last week. He was very alert, talkative, purring, and finished his breakfast. He hasn't finished a meal since he started feeling unwell. Going to keep checking his breathing rates and hopefully the drug isn't stressing his kidneys if they are working so he can stay on them.

I use my phone camera and record for 15 seconds and then count his breaths that way to make it easier to track and see changes.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed last night his breathing was less labored and this morning as well. I am going to assume the pill is doing its job. He even cleaned himself right after eating which he hasn't done since last week. He was very alert, talkative, purring, and finished his breakfast. He hasn't finished a meal since he started feeling unwell. Going to keep checking his breathing rates and hopefully the drug isn't stressing his kidneys if they are working so he can stay on them.

I use my phone camera and record for 15 seconds and then count his breaths that way to make it easier to track and see changes.
He is sleeping, down to 32 breaths per min. He has been averaging 25 to 32 since his diagnoses so this is good. Not as labored but still a bit of stomach pushing. Hoping that stops by tomorrow.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is sleeping, down to 32 breaths per min. He has been averaging 25 to 32 since his diagnoses so this is good. Not as labored but still a bit of stomach pushing. Hoping that stops by tomorrow.
32 is much better. If the medicine is working, his breathing might continue to improve. I remember trying to explain to the vet that I had one who had breathing that wasn't quite "labored", but it did look as though it took more effort and his exhales looked more dramatic than his inhales. I hope he continues to improve. As far as him cleaning after eating, that's a sign IMO that he's feeling much better. :)

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
32 is much better. If the medicine is working, his breathing might continue to improve. I remember trying to explain to the vet that I had one who had breathing that wasn't quite "labored", but it did look as though it took more effort and his exhales looked more dramatic than his inhales. I hope he continues to improve. As far as him cleaning after eating, that's a sign IMO that he's feeling much better. :)
I was trying to explain this as well but just ended up sending a video. It is like taking in a normal breath and quickly forcing it back out. I am wondering if this is down to having fluid around his lungs. Like it was forcing his lungs to empty faster.

He has been eating well and has not had any labored stomach breathing since Saturday night. He will be going back this weekend to get blood work and xrays to check for fluid. Hopefully we get good news all around.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was trying to explain this as well but just ended up sending a video. It is like taking in a normal breath and quickly forcing it back out. I am wondering if this is down to having fluid around his lungs. Like it was forcing his lungs to empty faster.

He has been eating well and has not had any labored stomach breathing since Saturday night. He will be going back this weekend to get blood work and xrays to check for fluid. Hopefully we get good news all around.
The fact that he's still eating well is very promising, and I really hope you get good news all around as well. :hugs:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a couple of terms to familiarize yourself with so you can better communicate with the vet.
Dyspnea, which is the effort of breath. 0 being normal, 4 being extreme.
Respiratory effort is just how it sounds.
Inspiratory effort is where you can see the difficulty in breathing at the beginning of each breath.
Expiratory effort is difficulty at the end of breath, when exhaling.

Any open mouth breathing is an emergency.

Just so you know, my own cat has had respirations above 60 breaths per minute her entire life. When asleep it can go down to 40. She is by no means normal and does have sever lung disease. But this has been going on 14 years.

You know your cat better than anyone. You know what is normal for your cat and what isn’t.

I think it’s great that you can communicate directly with your vet and that they seem to live your cat and their job. That is a rare find nowadays, at least in my area. .

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a couple of terms to familiarize yourself with so you can better communicate with the vet.
Dyspnea, which is the effort of breath. 0 being normal, 4 being extreme.
Respiratory effort is just how it sounds.
Inspiratory effort is where you can see the difficulty in breathing at the beginning of each breath.
Expiratory effort is difficulty at the end of breath, when exhaling.

Any open mouth breathing is an emergency.

Just so you know, my own cat has had respirations above 60 breaths per minute her entire life. When asleep it can go down to 40. She is by no means normal and does have sever lung disease. But this has been going on 14 years.

You know your cat better than anyone. You know what is normal for your cat and what isn’t.

I think it’s great that you can communicate directly with your vet and that they seem to live your cat and their job. That is a rare find nowadays, at least in my area. .
I worked as a vet tech before, I am familiar. I just use video as it is easier for us all.

His visits are not cheap so I believe this is why she remains in contact with us. That, and she adores him.

---

As for an update, he got his xrays done and they are all clear. No fluid. We have to wait for the blood work but hopefully we will get good news on that. So long as his kidneys are handling the medication fine, he should be in the clear for heart failure again.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Noticed my little buddy limping this morning and not acting himself. He didn't want to get out of bed, didn't want to walk, didn't want to eat or drink... When he did walk, he was dragging his back paw and appeared to be losing feeling in one of his legs. Knowing what I know about blood clots, we got him in to the ER right away. They tested and confirmed he did drop a clot but was extremely lucky (I would say outright blessed) it dissolved on its own. Most cats don't have that happen. He was walking normal a little while after getting there. Unfortunately, he had to go on another medication.

Today has not been a great day...

I am still thanking God it didn't turn serious and his body managed it but I am going to be scared of it happening again.

😢

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is still limping around and having trouble getting comfortable. Not wanting to eat much either. I am starting him back on that appetite enhancer topical and going to get him some other food to see if that helps. I hardly slept. He sleeps next to me and tossed and turned most of the night. I got him to eat a small amount of food and he is at least drinking water again.

I am hoping if this is pain related, he starts to feel better in a day or two. I have concerns about him having some deficiencies because he keeps licking the floor but I would have to take him in again to his other vet for blood work and I don't want to stress him out so soon.

Has anyone else noticed deficiencies when their cat was on diuretics? I am suspecting potassium since I do give him topical magnesium every night.