Sudden hair loss?

SleepinBooty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! I adopted a cat from a shelter a little bit less than a year ago. I'm 20 yo and never had any experience with cats before, as my family members are more dogs persons. He turned 10 this January, and got his vaccines on February 15th. The vet didn't see any health problem. Fast forward to this day, I noticed a small hair loss on one of his ears. He's an in-house cat, and I'm almost always present at home; I didn't noticed anything yesterday.
20220318_201358.jpg
20220318_194749.jpg

What could cause this hair loss? I first thought he scratched himself a bit too much but I don't see any scratches mark... Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Thank you in advance :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Hair loss can be from a number of causes. In the case of your cat, many would not apply since he lives indoors and has probably not contracted something that an outdoor cat might. Any other symptoms like itching, head shaking, change in habits? I agree that keeping an eye on this is a good idea and if it progresses, call the vet. If the vet would look at this picture, that would also help. Allergies can be a major cause of hair loss and can be a little hard to get to the bottom of. Did you recently change food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SleepinBooty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - welcome!!
Hair loss can be from a number of causes.
Hello! And thank you both very much for you help! I tried to search up if the veterinarians in my city have an email, but it seems they only have a phone number used to take appointments so it's highly likely that they will ask a consultation. But yes good idea, I'll take pictures everyday and watch it closely, if it worsen I'll immediately go at the vet!!
Otherwise I didn't notice any change of habits; today he was mostly sleeping, as usual. He also asked for food. He has a thickening of the bowel wall, if that might help; so I try to not change his food at all and not give him any "treats" that aren't exclusively for cats (nothing that primarily comes from human meal) I'm also always very careful to not let him enter the kitchen in case he eats something he can't digest. Other than his hair loss, I didn't noticed any strange behavior nor yesterday neither today
It doesn't seem so serious, but I kinda know ears can rot very easily, so when I see something strange I feel the need to search up or ask advices in case it might be serious. Let's hope it's not!