Sudden Growls?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My two cats generally get along well. They are not "snuggly" or "loving" with each other, but they do play and sleep close together. Monet is 8, Cassie is 6 and they've known each other for 5.5 years.

Lately, my older cat has taken on to growling at my other cat, Cassie, whenever she gets too close to me and he's on my lap or near me. It's like he's warning her to stay away because he has me to himself at that time. Cassie respects him and stays away or walks away when he growls. They'd stare at each other too sometimes until I break their line of sight.

There has been no changes in the house, nothing different that would off-set Monet's behavior. There is a stray cat outside that a neighbor has been feeding, though that has not been an issue in the 2 years it's been around.

Nothing too alarming about Monet that warrants a vet visit.

What do you guys think? Just being protective of me and don't want to share?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not a cat expert but I suspect Monet is claiming you as his. (Not that he is trying to protect you).

My guys, arnold and greg have a similiar situation, although arnold never growls at greg.....he just stares.

Like your cats, our guys interact well, but arnold wont allow greg to share quiet time with us. Ie sitting on the couch watching tv, sleeping in our bed.

We try to offset this imbalance by ensuring we include greg in activities, alternate which cat gets their food dish or treats or goes outside first, which cat gets petted first if they are sitting together. Also when we give treats, arnold wont get a treat unless greg is nearby and also gets a treat. The idea to to teach arnold that "good things happen when greg is nearby".

I would work hard to make Monet feel that way about Cassie or the situation might get worse.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I would work hard to make Monet feel that way about Cassie or the situation might get worse.
:yeah: It sounds like he's becoming possessive and reminding Cassie of her "inferior" status. You might want to spend some alone time with Cassie, e.g., in a room with the door closed, to bolster her self-confidence before Monet starts cowing her too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm.. I may have to change up the routine or something a bit.. they get the same food at the same time, they both get treats at the same time (no arguments between the two over food or treats).

Cassie is generally more snuggly and she's usually always in my lap and Monet never protested against it. It was just recent he started growling.

I am just not sure what I should do different aside from giving them both attention separately?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
forgot about this!

Things got better as quickly as it came. Something must've irritated him.. not sure what. Occasionally he'll hiss at her if she comes while he's snuggling with me, but not as bad as it was before.