Sudden Food Intolerance

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guys I really am not sure how to explain this but i'll try.

Around 3 weeks ago my cat started vomiting food. He was eating mainly dry. His issue got worse. I understand that many of you may be upset that I haven't taken him to a vet but every time I had the opportunity to go he seemed to be better so let me give you the progression and maybe you can help me get him through the weekend at least.

3 weeks ago - vomiting dry food about every 2 days

2 weeks ago - vomiting dry food every day
2 weeks ago - switch to wet food but left dry food available (problem subsided when he ate
the wet but persisted when he ate the dry till he vomited the dry every single time)​
2 weeks ago - I try 5 different kinds of dry (none special digestive just variety) but none
seem any better

1 1/2 weeks ago - kitty and I both have given up on the dry so I began being very careful
not to leave it after the other cats eat.​
1 1/2 weeks ago - kitty begins vomiting chunky wet on occasion

1 week ago - kitty begins vomiting all chunky wet foods. I try different brands/flavors. Soon
he can't hold down any. Lots of gnarling, gargling gassy noises when he eats.​
1 week ago - I switch kitty to pate and he's fine

5 days ago - kitty begins vomiting pate, horrible gastric noises. I soup up his pate and
spoon feed him to get him through for a couple of days because I can't get to the vet. This works well at first.​

3 days ago - kitty is ready for the vet, carrier prepared. I decide to spoon feed him one last
time so he won't have to feel so awful and empty while poked and prodded (also to take a video for the vet of the noises and regurgitation). Kitty has zero horrible gassy noises. Kitty does not even gag much less vomit. I realize he's eating a pate whitefish I had fed him before that he didn't vomit ANY of the times before. I don't take kitty to the vet. Instead I switch him to the whitefish only to see if he can do an elimination diet cleanse successfully.

past 1-3 days - kitty holds down the food as long as it's the pate whitefish only. He vomits a
few random times which freaks me out but then I notice there's 1-4 kernels of dry in his vomit each time so I refocus on trying to keep him from sneaking bits. He's getting it from droppings left by the other cats (one of them sneaks dry over to other places away from the bowl).

Today - He's still making noises but much less and mainly after I find a kernel in his vomit. He vomited the whitefish shortly after I just found kibble in other vomit and then tried to feed him again possibly too soon after. The vet isn't open but I was making ground beef so I poured some dripping and crumbled beef into a bowl. He drank all the drippings. No noises, no gagging and no vomit from the drippings despite the fat content.

I feel this is likely to be a sudden allergy but I came here because I'm unsure and the vet won't be open again till Monday. He WANTS to eat. He even plays a little when I can keep everything done right and get him to hold the food down. I haven't seen him drinking but this could be because I was souping his food. He's peeing and pooping relatively normal.

Are there any homemade foods I might try for the weekend since he did so well on the beef drippings (and he needs nutrition and the whitefish he's held down is the cheapest probably least nutritious of the foods I've tried)??

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
He is allergic to something in the food. Go to a really good petstore.. not PetSmart or Petco.. Try to find a protein which he has never eaten before.. perhaps duck..
See how he does with that..

He does need to see the Vet...can you call for an appointment ASAP.. do not think he is improving when he goes 2- 3 days without an issue. There is an underlying cause for this...

Good luck, and ((hugs))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is allergic to something in the food. Go to a really good petstore.. not PetSmart or Petco.. Try to find a protein which he has never eaten before.. perhaps duck..

He does need to see the Vet...can you call for an appointment ASAP.. do not think he is improving when he goes 2- 3 days without an issue. There is an underlying cause for this...

Good luck, and ((hugs))
There are none open till Monday (very rural area). I was thinking it might be better to try to home cook something and finely chop it but I can look for something like what you've mentioned. It will have to be at a petsmart or petco though because there aren't any others I know of near here. I feel confident that I can get him through till Monday with some work I was just hoping to get good advice on things to try.

Thanks for you're advice!

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
your*

I hate when I'm distracted and I misuse your/you're, there/their/they're, etc. It's always like I can see it glaring at me as I click send but it's too late.

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Good luck, and ((hugs))
I went to Petco and was NOT happy with the ingredients in "duck" foods there. Thank you for warning me about chain pet stores.

Since whitefish had been the wet cat food I'd had the best result with, I bought some Tilapia fillets and fresh ground beef instead. He is eating the Tilapia really well even though it's chunky (I did not try to puree it first). It's the first solid food he's been able to eat in a week. No problems or noises. The ground beef drippings are helping me get fats into him. Now I just need to find a good carbohydrate because I suspect the vet will tell me to keep him on the Tilapia for a while regardless of the underlying condition.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are homemade recipies here: Cooked Recipes Thread

And general info about homecooked diets here: Home-Cooked Cat Food Resources

Cooked meat needs to be supplemented so that the cat gets all the essential vitamins and minerals. Using a pre-mix such as EZComplete is the easiest way. Just add the pre-mix to plain cooked meat with some water and stir to combine.

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are homemade recipies here: Cooked Recipes Thread

And general info about homecooked diets here: Home-Cooked Cat Food Resources

Cooked meat needs to be supplemented so that the cat gets all the essential vitamins and minerals. Using a pre-mix such as EZComplete is the easiest way. Just add the pre-mix to plain cooked meat with some water and stir to combine.
This is great. Thank you so much.