TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat: Grembly - 1 year old oriental shorthair
Appetite: normal
Water intake: normal
Using litter box appropriately
Behavior: normal

Approximately 2 months ago, I changed up my cats wet food (I have 2 cats but the other is fine). I was feeding them Blue Buffalo Wilderness grain-free wet food and switched to Blue Buffalo Freedom indoor cat formula. I primarily did this to avoid potential weight gain but also because Grembly & Ember didn't really like the other food that much. After making the switch, I noticed Grembly was having diarrhea (pure liquid poop) that smelled nightmarish. I figured it had to do with the switch in wet food, but called my vet for advice just in case. The vet agreed about the food change and suggested I try giving Grembly a different wet food that would be easier on the stomach and had chicken as a primary ingredient to help with the diarrhea. From the short list the vet gave me, I chose Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Chicken grain-free wet food. After about 4-5 days, Grembly still had diarrhea, so I decided to stop giving her wet food altogether to see if that'd help. Grembly had been eating Go! Fit + Free Grain-free Chicken, Turkey & Duck dry food since she was 7 months old (breeders suggestion). She was given wet food once daily and had the dry food to graze on during the day. After stopping the wet food completely, the diarrhea seemed to stop too...for about a week. I noticed yesterday that the diarrhea is back again full force & now I don't know what to do. I don't think it's the dry food, but I could be wrong. I have NEVER fed her human food & all my garbage cans are inaccessible to her, so she's not getting into anything that way. Suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Go back to what you were feeding before the diarrhea started and see if it stops completely. If it does, then compare the ingredients from that food to all of the others you have tried and see if there is an item or two that is different, possibly causing the diarrhea.

From there, compare the food ingredients that works for her with other potential foods you would like to try in the hopes that they won't cause diarrhea either.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... I figured it had to do with the switch in wet food, but called my vet for advice just in case. The vet agreed about the food change and suggested I try giving Grembly a different wet food that would be easier on the stomach and had chicken as a primary ingredient to help with the diarrhea. ... After stopping the wet food completely, the diarrhea seemed to stop too...for about a week. I noticed yesterday that the diarrhea is back again full force & now I don't know what to do. ... Suggestions?
If there is any opportunity to get even a partially firm stool sample (if not, I guess just some of the diarrhea!? ask the vet beforehand), you could either take the stool sample in to be tested for bacteria or parasites and the like, or just take your kitty in for a vet visit to have her checked over -- and go from there.

Hope Grembly will feel better soon! :vibes::alright:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there is any opportunity to get even a partially firm stool sample (if not, I guess just some of the diarrhea!? ask the vet beforehand), you could either take the stool sample in to be tested for bacteria or parasites and the lik
Good point by PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws ! Diarrhea sample (including litter) is good enough to take to the vet if they will accept you bringing one in to them. Ask about a full fecal PCR which is the test that looks for bacteria as well as parasites. You can bag the sample and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours in case you can't get it to the vet's office right away.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing, too, is that if Grembly has been having chronic diarrhea for 1-2 months, she is likely dehydrated and might need some fluids to kickstart her out of things. Sometimes the dehydration itself can cause nausea, which leads a cat to having trouble eating, which leads more issues --- and around we go.

I guess if it were me, my next step would be, "Grembly, we're off to the vet!"

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
4 days ago my dry eater started a can 3oz of wet a day, only once he ate it all, I was so happy..The first day he had nice stools for the first time which was soft....

Now wet dookies, twice last night and yesterday, hes a persian and has ptsd from being touched in the heiny when he had uti, so dam I cant clean his rear, so much fur...Gave him probiodics this morning and hes back on his gastrointestinal royal canin...He freaks out when I lift his tail up...

Hoping this clears up soon, anything else I can do? First time ever soft stools with him, he had constipation issues april last year

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
4 days ago my dry eater started a can 3oz of wet a day, only once he ate it all, I was so happy..The first day he had nice stools for the first time which was soft....

Now wet dookies, twice last night and yesterday, hes a persian and has ptsd from being touched in the heiny when he had uti, so dam I cant clean his rear, so much fur...Gave him probiodics this morning and hes back on his gastrointestinal royal canin...He freaks out when I lift his tail up...

Hoping this clears up soon, anything else I can do? First time ever soft stools with him, he had constipation issues april last year
I would reccomend posting this on a new thread