Sudden death of beloved cat. Can someone help me understand what happened?

teelaandsasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was my girlfriends cat and she lived with her parents. He had a heart murmur but was a generally okay cat health wise.

He wasn t my cat but I ve known him since he was orb and have stayed with my girlfriend many times and I used to sneak him into her room and cuddle him.

He was in the hall and he staggered then fell on his side. His legs started going like mad as if he was running and his eyes looked like wide and scared. He then sort of ran on his side In circles on the carpet then suddenly went all still like seized up and was shaking and started yowling and screaming in pain but we couldn t do anything. He then went quiet and started breathing shallowly then I heard a woosh and he was gone.

What on earth happened? One minute he was letting me scratch him on the head and next he is dead! Everyone including the eight year old was there for his passing and his sister nala is acting strange, grieving and is looking about for him in all his favourite places.

I m just in a state everyone is and we re just looking for an explanation of what happened

This is all very new and sad and we just miss him so much and the trauma of seeing him in so much perceived pain before his passing and not be able to do anything has left me very sad and downright depressed

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bitty-Boo was  21 years and seven months. Over the years we had taken him to a Vet for annual check-ups injections for annual itch, but by and large he was a healthy cat. Into his final year he started to swell up and he drank water like more than usual. Of a night Bit would call me and I would get up and take him outside where there was a water bowl & he would drink and drink and take up to 30 minutes until he was satisfied. Then we would go back  inside. This was the routine and I would get up etc. Our Vets charge so much and he did not seem in pain, plus he was so old..  The last night he had gotten into our wardrobe and was hidden from view, but he kept calling me but didn't seem to want to go outside. At 5am I got up to him and eased him out of his spot and carried him to the lounge room. Then his bladder let go and I still had him in my arms when he suddenly arched right back and that was it. I was still holding him so I placed him on the floor and sat just stroking his face. When my husband came down I just said Boo has gone. That is over nine months ago but I miss him every day the reminders of him, toys left behind, favourite chairs that no one but Bit sat on. So many things. The hurt is so severe at times and my tears would fill a bucket. It gets a little easier but the pain is real. Regards anneno2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teelaandsasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you anneno2 it's just a very sad thing he was two years old as well so came as a very big shock and I'm still grieving for his loss I keep having to remind myself he won't be there and I can't get the image of his lifeless body out of my head.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am no vet, but given he had a heart murmur I would guess hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Sounds similar to something that happened here years ago to a pet of mine. Sometimes it just happens with HCM that they throw a clot and die, with no apparent warning. It is devastating when we lose a pet, but I think even more so when unexpected. You have my condolences.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having a beloved cat die in your arms is both a terribly sad occurrence but it is also a comfort, knowing that you were there for your kitty when he went across the rainbow bridge. Heart murmurs can cause several potential problems with blood clots and heart arrhythmia's being the two more common ones.

My cat Thor was being treated for a blood disorder that caused him to have severe anemia. The vet put him on a heavy prednisone treatment trying to increase his red blood count. For a while he improved and his appetite increased. When we were returning from the vet, Thor became restless and cried a few times. His bladder let go and I comforted him as much as possible until we got home. By the time I got home, Thor was limp so I held his little body until he was gone, tears running down my face like rain. Thinking about it still makes me get misty even though I look like I should be riding a Harley Davidson and being in an outlaw biker gang.

When your kitty passed, his "running" was more of a nervous reaction and his crying was not from pain but part of the passing process. Your kitty didn't suffer and you did as much as possible in keeping your cat happy until the very end. You Kitty passed surrounded by family and I couldn't think of a better way to leave this life than surrounded by those I love (and those who loved me). It is normal to feel sad, but know that you did as much as possible and couldn't have helped or prevented his passing. I wish every cat had someone who loved them like you loved your cat. Don't feel that you made things worse...instead you helped as much as you could when he needed it most. That is true love. :)

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so hard to take, and those images are so powerful. I still have mental images of cats I lost 3 years ago, painful to see them

I had a cat die from a blood clot in the heart. They die just like that, suddenly. As far as I know, there is no pain. Bless you for taking such good care of your friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teelaandsasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone or your kind words. It is still quite raw and I find myself breaking down from time to time but I was aware he wasn't supposed to survive more than a few months so we are all so greatful that we had him in our lives for so long. He is now at peace and although we are deeply mourning his loss, we also remember all the wonderful happy times with him. Seeing his limp body get disposed of was the hardest thing I have ever witnessed but I channelled my hurt into thinking how happy he is now and in looking after my family. Thank you all for your kind words and support. I'm glad I am on a site like with cat lovers who understand my devistation at his loss.