**sudden Changes In Senior Cat!**

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy Kasper is 18.5 years young and he has a thyroid and kidney issue that are being controlled. He’s on a 100% wet food diet, 50% can, 50% raw and he loves it. He’s eating, drinking and using the litter box normally. Yesterday he went to the vet for a full check up and a full blood panel and urine test. All is normal, his kidneys aren’t acting up, his thyroid is in a good range, his red blood cell count is a little low but they said nothing to be concerned about. His protein is a little low too and he’s lost a few ounces of weight so I’ve been instructed to feed him more, which isn’t a problem.

His pupils are dilated and have been for a few days. The vet checked and said to keep an eye on them and report back in a couple of days if they haven’t returned back to normal in the presence of light. I shined a light in them earlier and they seemed to get a little smaller but not too much. I’ll check again soon.

My baby has never been a lap kitty. He’s always preferred to have his own space and he’ll come to me when he wants pets and attention. A little over a week ago he started sitting on my lap and cuddling in bed with me. I’m not complaining but what’s up with the sudden change? He doesn’t feel cold but he wants to be near me or on top of me. Like I said, I don’t mind at all, in fact I love it but after 18.5 years of “don’t touch me right now” from him, this seems a little odd for him to be suddenly the complete opposite.

Also for the last few days, he’s been unsteady on his feet and seems a little lethargic. He’s eating, drinking and litter boxing normally and his blood test and urine test came out as expected. I just don’t understand what the issue is and I’m really doing my best not to stress out about this. Does anyone know what could be going on with my baby boy?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you are aware of this, but kidney disease is like old age, bother weaken the cat making it more susceptible to a wide range of other problems. It could be any number of things that your vet didn't specifically test for, or something sudden. My kidney was doing fine until a stroke. Stay optimistic that it is something minor, but understand that it may not be. You may have to go back to the vet.

Good luck.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really think that another trip to the vet is indicated here, given your cat's age. Be sure to decribe the unsteady gait and other oddities in full! He may have had a tiny stroke, or it may be something fairly simple, but why take that chance?