Sudden Changes In Gizmo And Im Worried I Cant Get To A Vet In Time..

Lumimanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He gets bi-weekly baths.. normally very hyper and social. up and down never in one place for too long and very vocal.. i gave him a bath this morning a bit early because i noticed he wasnt taking care of himself properly only to find out he is insanely skinny and bony. i sat with him all day with dry food, wet food, and purified water all in bowls and he wouldn't touch any of it, nor has he got to the litter box. to add to it hes not hardly moving around and hes very slow almost as if he is dizzy and not a single meow all day. i dont know how he lost so much weight so fast but everything about him today was just not like him.. issue is i have called dozens and dozens of places and no place will take him without money upfront and i dont have that until next week. he is everything i have and if i lose him because i cant get him there in time i will be a mess.. hes normally so happy and talks to me all day long =( now he seems so sad and i cant help. i did mush up a tiny bit of food and force fed him a tiny tiny amount and also gave him a bit of water over 2 hour intervals to prevent him being sick

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Gizmo does sound very sick and in need of a vet right away. If Care Credit is an option for you, this might be the easiest way to get immediate vet care. If you are in the US, VCA may be another option because they offer initial visits for no charge. Locations are available through the country but emergencies are not usually covered by the free first visit policy. It's worth checking out, though.

You are doing the right thing force feeding him food and water - do you have a syringe to do this? It will make it much easier and they are available at most pharmacies. You might also offer Gizmo some turkey or chicken baby food without garlic and onions. Many cats can not resist these. Be sure to warm wet food up a bit before offering it - the enhanced aromas will help tempt him to eat. The main thing of course is to get to the vet but until you get there, making sure he gets food and water is essential.

Best wishes that Gizmo gets better soon. Please let us know how he does. :catrub:

pet mom

The Guardian of All .
Kitten
Purraise
He gets bi-weekly baths.. normally very hyper and social. up and down never in one place for too long and very vocal.. i gave him a bath this morning a bit early because i noticed he wasnt taking care of himself properly only to find out he is insanely skinny and bony. i sat with him all day with dry food, wet food, and purified water all in bowls and he wouldn't touch any of it, nor has he got to the litter box. to add to it hes not hardly moving around and hes very slow almost as if he is dizzy and not a single meow all day. i dont know how he lost so much weight so fast but everything about him today was just not like him.. issue is i have called dozens and dozens of places and no place will take him without money upfront and i dont have that until next week. he is everything i have and if i lose him because i cant get him there in time i will be a mess.. hes normally so happy and talks to me all day long =( now he seems so sad and i cant help. i did mush up a tiny bit of food and force fed him a tiny tiny amount and also gave him a bit of water over 2 hour intervals to prevent him being sick
Try calling your local Humane society, many have pet clinic's and will help. if that don't work call around to cat rescues and explain what's going on.
will pray for both of you xx's

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lumimanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well.. does a turkey baster count? its kinda hard but right now money isnt available until the first. so i am going to try and do everything i can for him to keep him going with calories because i know at least that a cat REQUIRES them daily. i have called all types like that in my area, and unfortunately.. there seems to be a lack in pet love around here. everything is money right now then we will talk.

i had some tuna in a can i drained also some chicken bits and nothing whole, so i am taking all the nice foods and just making puree out of them hoping that changing it from his wet cat food to chicken bits or tuna and back will kick start him on food again. so far nothing is working but i will keep trying. im worried that i either wont feed him enough or too much. i dont want to make him sick and push him further away from food. there is a lot of mixed information online about this for people who cant get to a vet or clinic right away.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I think a turkey baster might be too wide - at least the one I have would be. If you find it's working though, don't fix what's not broken. Just be extra careful to avoid any food getting into Gizmo's lungs since this can cause pneumonia. On the other hand, pharmacies will often give you a syringe so that shouldn't cost anything. I completely understand the financial situation, btw, as I'm also waiting for the first to come around for a healthier bank account. ;)

You probably won't be able to feed him too much since Gizmo is actively refusing to eat. The trick is going to be to get enough into him. It sounds like you're doing the right thing by making a puree of tuna and chicken - if you have some ham around, you might add that. A lot of cats really love ham. You can also get some Nutri-cal, which is a high calorie nutritional gel that can be rubbed on their gums. Most pet stores will carry it, or something similar, and it's not expensive (under $10.00).

Please let us know how he's doing!

Lumimanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for all the help truly i appreciate it and the advice. gizmo passed away this morning though =( im so disappointed in the animal help and care in my area.. but i dont know what was wrong with him that he got so sick so quickly either.. i just wish there was more flexible assistance for pet owners because gizmo was my life and about the only thing that kept me happy when i was really depressed. im going to see if there is a place where i can donate all his food and unused toys (had some saved for his birthday.. or at leas the day i adopted him) im thinking the animal shelters here could always use some help even if its not much. i know its not their fault they couldnt help me.. but im still so upset. though i did learn about traveling vets.. that is new to me

BijouBlackCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for all the help truly i appreciate it and the advice. gizmo passed away this morning though =( im so disappointed in the animal help and care in my area.. but i dont know what was wrong with him that he got so sick so quickly either.. i just wish there was more flexible assistance for pet owners because gizmo was my life and about the only thing that kept me happy when i was really depressed. im going to see if there is a place where i can donate all his food and unused toys (had some saved for his birthday.. or at leas the day i adopted him) im thinking the animal shelters here could always use some help even if its not much. i know its not their fault they couldnt help me.. but im still so upset. though i did learn about traveling vets.. that is new to me
I am so sorry to hear about Gizmo :(:redheartpump: That is so devastating, especially when it comes on fast like that. I'm sure there are places that would appreciate his goodies and help other kitties in need.

Lumimanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you, i appreciate that. yeah i will look into putting them to use where it is needed.. its not much but maybe some other sick cats in recovery can have fun toys at least to keep them happy