Sudden change in pooping behavior

ninababy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the background is that both my roomate and I each have a cat. The cats have lived together for a long time and get along etc. My roomate's cat has his litterbox in my roomate's bathroom and Snow, my cat, has her litterbox in my bathroom. Up until the past two weeks, each cat would use their individual litterbox without any problem. Two weeks ago Snow started pooping on the floor of my roomate's bathroom. Snow still pees in her own litterbox in my bathroom, but poops in my roomates bathroom floor! What's even weird is that she only does this when nobody (me or my roomate) is home, because when I/roomate are home, she poops normally in her own litterbox. I would appreciate any help because I just don't know what to do. I have not 'caught' Snow in the act to teach her 'no'. I have tried thinking of anything that has changed in the past several weeks that would cause Snow to do this, but I can't think of anything different (no changes in litter, food, environment, etc....). I don't know what else to do! Please help!!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the standard suggestion will be (1) vet check and (2) add another box for your girl in your bathroom or wherever else she can get at it easily. Lots of cats really don't like to poo and pee in the same box, even if they've done it for a while with no issues. I don't think you necessarily have to have two huge boxes - right now I'm using the large boxe from Walmart, but they're not giant sized. They usually say to have one box per cat, plus one (thus, three for two kitties - right now I've got four for two kitties - it really doesn't take longer to clean, and they seem happy). I think Snow is definitely trying to tell you something isn't quite right - either with the boxes or her tummy.

Is the poo well formed? or any different from her normal poo?

Also, do you clean twice a day? If not, give that a try as well.

You'll probably have to get an enzyme cleaner to clean where she's had accidents. And, for what it's worth, I've had wonderful luck with Cat Attract litter. If you can't find this litter in stores where you shop, they also make an additive you can get over the internet - lots cheaper shipping than getting the actual litter.

Good luck - believe me, I've been there. Oh, try keeping a calendar or log on incidents so you can show the vet when/if you go. That might help with a diagnosis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninababy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your reply darlili! I took Snow to the vet recently and got a clean bill of health for a 2 1/2 year old. Snow's poop looks and smells(
) absolutely normal. I use world's best cat litter (and have been using since i got her when she was a kitten) and pretty much clean it whenever I see it has been used (which is usually more than twice a day). It's acutally funny that she chooses to go in my roomates bathroom b/c she cleans her cat's litterbox less than I do. Today I was home all day and when Snow had to poop she used her litterbox correctly, but I know when I'm not at home she's going to be 'bad' again. It's like she knows it's wrong and therefore doesn't do it in front of me.

I am wondering is she is just growing up .. I've noticed lately she is more vocal and slighty more skittish

Where do they sell cat attract litter? I think I will try adding another litterbox in my bathroom, although she has a huge litterbox that takes up most of my bathroom! argh. lol.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snow may be having constipation problems. In that case she will blame the litter box and poop elsewhere. Watch her when you can, to see, when she is pooping, does she seem to take a long time? Change positions a lot? Do a lot of digging? Any vomiting?

Or, it may just be she wants another box now, one for pee and one for poop, adding another next to the one she already has may solve the problem.

Or it may be she objects to the dirtier litter box. If it smells like dirty litter in your roommate's bathroom, she may be showing dominance by leaving poop on the floor there.

ninababy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for the reply otto.

I think it's really interesting about her showing her dominance.. i don't really know if she has a dominant personality... Snow is 2 1/2 old female and my roomate's cat is 15+ year old male who pretty much sleeps all day. Snow drinks water normally and didn't noticed any unusual behavior when she went to the bathroom.

I'm thinking i may just deep clean her litterbox, add fresh litter, and clean my bathroom really well do see if that makes a difference... and then add a new litterbox if no change....

I just hope all this works b/c it really is unfair to my roomate that Snow poops on her bathroom floor!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on how old your box is, maybe just get a new one if you can. Scent will eventually penetrate the plastic, no matter how well you clean. Adding more boxes is why I ended up using a slightly smaller box, but more of them.

In my area, you can get Cat Attract at Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus. Or, the additive you can order over the internet - either at Petsmart.com or at Dr. Elsey's web site (http://www.preciouscat.com/precious-attract-p-5.html).

Otto may really be on to something - but I'd just try a few things, as you're planning, and keep a log as to what works, or what doesn't.

Whatever you do, IMO, don't 'punish' her - she really won't understand what's wrong, and may end up with the idea that pooping itself is bad - which could really lead to some problems. She might start pooping in hidden spots, or try not to poo at all, which will lead to constipation. I wouldn't let it go too long without at least calling the vet and giving them an update and asking their advice. If she isn't feeling well, you'll want to find out.

Good luck and keep us updated!

ninababy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will try out the things you guys have suggested! I hope it works!!