Sudden change in Ollie's affection level

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A couple weeks ago I took Ollie to the local humane society (the same one I adopted him from) because they agreed to help me out by having a vet there look in his ears to tell me whether or not he still actively had ear mites. I didn't want to be ripped off at a vets office for a 20 second look in his ears. I'd rather spend the money on meds for him. Anyways, the vet there also cleaned out his ears while he was there and I could hear him crying from the room next door where I was (I wasn't allowed to accompany him) while she cleaned out his ears.

I took him home and increased his dosage of Revolution to twice monthly until this is resolved because the vet confirmed my suspicions that he had an active ear mite infestation.

Anyways, since then, and almost immediately afterwards, his affection level towards me has ratcheted up significantly. He's been affectionate for as long as I've had him (since I adopted him when he was 3 months old). He's very sweet.

All of a sudden though, since that day, he wants to sleep on the pillow next to me and be right up against my head, he follows me everywhere and whereas before Ally would come spend time next to me on the bathroom counter when I would be using the toilet (sorry if it's TMI), now Ollie does so too and wants me to rub my head against his. If I look away from him, he taps me lightly on the shoulder with his paw to get me to look at him and then puts his head forward for me to either pet or rub my head against his. He also is trying to groom my head often. He does this in the middle of the night, and during the day, even when I'm on the toilet, he jumps up onto the tank and stands on his hind legs and tries to groom me. I also wake up sometimes lately in the morning and he is sleeping on my chest with his head facing mine. So he must have gotten up from next to me and gotten on top of me. Whenever I am sitting in bed reading or using my laptop, he comes from wherever he was and lays down either next to me or in my lap. There's more, but you get the idea.

None of this bothers me, I just wasn't sure if this sudden tremendous increase in affection was a sign of something more than just superficial affection, such as maybe him feeling fearful lately and needing to be near me to feel safe? Or could it be the Revolution? Could giving him two doses a month be causing some type of euphoric sensation for him?

I'm not complaining - don't get the wrong idea. I think it's sweet that he's so affectionate, but I've realized that cats are complex and intelligent enough that I can't make simple assumptions regarding causes of behavior. I want to be sure there is nothing to be concerned about. Sudden changes in personality at least in people is often symptomatic of a medical issue. Hence my questioning it.

(he's asleep in a ball right now cuddled up against me for example)

ETA: Oh yeah, also if I start petting him or giving him kisses or putting my face close to his while he's laying down, he starts purring. The petting is normal for him. Having an immediate positive response to kisses or my face being close to his is new though.

ryffian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any scientific answer for you, but I'd bet that Ollie got stressed out and is just super happy to be at home with you (where people aren't digging in his ears).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I should add, that was 3 and a half weeks ago, so he's been like this for 3 and a half weeks now.

ryffian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, how about this one: Ollie may have always wanted to be an extra affectionate kitty, but the low grade irritation of an ear mite infestation could have distracted him enough that it kept him from his full "affection potential"? Maybe I'm stretching it a little.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was recently diagnosed with stomatitis, I found out her gums were swollen and bleeding...
She got an antibiotic injection at the vet and some pain killer medication to tide her over until her dental appointment (tomorrow!
). After that she was very lovey too, so it could just be that Ollie is feeling better. I always worry when I take Holland to the vet that she will hate me, but I like to think that she associates it with her feeling better. Of course, I may be stretching too...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything is possible. But maybe being separated from you in a strange place caused a bit of anxiety and his way of deal with it is to become clingier. I've had cats do that after vet visit and have one currently that anytime she gets upset she sticks to me.

I've never had any vets take the cats to a separate room to clean ears.

I hope you asked them to make sure it wasn't bacterial or yeast related.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine seem to go through stages where they are more affectionate, Hunter took five years to sleep on my bed and now he's curled up against my tummy every night. As is Ghost under my chin. She latched onto me about two months ago, and I can't bathe or use the bathroom or lie down without her wrapped around me. She was so helpful getting ready for work in the morning that I gave up on wearing makeup, hard to apply when a cat is headbutting you!
Last winter Little Bit was my constant shadow, now she still wants petting, and will occasionally nap on my lap, but isn't nearly so attached as she was.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I shouldn't be concerned? I Love his new super-affectionate ways, I just wanted to be sure there was nothing to be worried about.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find it depends on what they want from you...

My tropical island cat Aya always gets more cuddly as the temperature goes down.

oodlesofpoodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it is possible that cats are sometimes able to associate their feeling better (after a vet visit) to their owners care for them.

Fae has always been an affectionate cat but a couple of weeks ago she had to have an emergency spay for pyometra (even though she isnt even 2 yet) and since she has been home she has been even MORE affectionate than ever before.

She rarely goes off to a room by herself (where as sebastian spends most of his time in another room by himself) and will cry at us when we are in the kitchen making dinner. i thought this was because she wants our food but once we sit down to eat she just contentedly lays near us and goes to sleep. It seems what she wants is for us to sit with her. even if not in the same chair. Just be in the same room while she sleeps. Odd little critter.

but maybe that is why he is so affectionate. *shrugs*

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I told my father about how Ollie is super affectionate ever since I took him to the local Humane Society to be seen by their vet. His response:

"He remembered where he came from."

He was joking of course. My parents and brother don't want to admit it, but they've become quite fond of Ally and Ollie and come to visit them in the room I'm staying in. I haven't yet gotten the courage to let the two of them roam the house. I'm still afraid they might get hurt.

Anyways, I think I'll just be happy with Ollie being my little furball of affection and happiness and let go of my worrywart side that worries about everything.

If I'm like this with my cats, I can't imagine how over protective I'm going to be one day as a father (if that transpires that is).