Sudden Cat Aggression

McGazBall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am panicking because we board a flight in five hours and my cat has suddenly flipped a switch from being lovey to fearful and aggressive.
Everything’s was fine then our foster cat got out of her room and he hissed at her, seems normal, we grabbed her and put her back. Now he is growling and spitting at his sibling cats that he was just snuggling with. His eyes are dialated and he keeps trying to run and hide.
We are trying to give him a few places for hiding and leave him alone but we have to be on a flight soon and I’m afraid to leave him! I have people coming everyday to check on everyone but is that enough? Help!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Allowing him his hiding places will help him reestablish a base camp. He will realize that the intruder is gone. Right now, he can still whiff her lingering scent (remember, cats can smell spider footprints and where a moth or fly has landed). Add to that, the usual commotion and tensions that happen during travel preparation & he is probably hypervigilant. I would try to add an extra litterbox and food/water where he can eat & potty away from the others - if he acts too timid, one of the other cats may begin bullying. Or he might keep acting aggressive although if he is hiding, he is likely to be timid. A spritzing of Feliway might help, also using lavender (just not too strong).
Have a safe flight & enjoy your travels! Cats are very resilient and do best in their home territory. I am sure that all will be well. And if I am wrong, you have joined a community with LOTS of great resources and advice to offer! :thumbsup:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that he will most likely be OK. It takes cats awhile to settle after an upset like that. Make sure his space remains free of intruders, alert the caregiver, and enjoy your trip! If there are lingering issues when you get back, come here first thing and we'll start working on them!