Sudden Behavior Change

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that sudden behavior changes can mean bad things. But in this case Midway suddenly started demanding our attention all the time. He's pretty aggressive about getting our attention and pettings and being picked up and being in my husband's lap now. And it is very sudden, a few weeks ago he was pretty stubbornly independent.

Is this a "enjoy it while it lasts" or "time for the vet" behavior change?

kalikitty97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that sudden behavior changes can mean bad things. But in this case Midway suddenly started demanding our attention all the time. He's pretty aggressive about getting our attention and pettings and being picked up and being in my husband's lap now. And it is very sudden, a few weeks ago he was pretty stubbornly independent.

Is this a "enjoy it while it lasts" or "time for the vet" behavior change?
Do you know if your cat had any recent things happen that could have caused anxiety or stress? Perhaps a new pet.. ? Him being nervous about something could make him cling to you. I think if it continues I would definitely take him to the vet, since this could also be a sign that he is in pain or discomfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
It's....I don't know, he's not clingy. I would actually phrase it as he's being far more demanding of attention. Like my husband couldn't keep him out of his lap one day while he was sitting on the bed tying his shoes. My husband even grabbed his favorite blanket and put him on it, and he walked off and got right back in his lap. I've tripped over him what feels like a hundred times because I go downstairs and he's right under my feet while I'm walking in the kitchen. Then he goes to the closest food dish that I must walk right by and is winding around my feet to make it to that dish. When I walk past that, he's underfoot again and goes to the food dish right next to my computer. He also has a bad habit of using your leg as a scratching post when he wants to be picked up and now that's all the time. (He's large and long and I'm short, so there's nothing quite like finding out he wants to be picked up when he's behind me and stretches upward and digs his claws in my bottom.)

Pet-wise, the other two cats are showing a couple of worrying symptoms. Shadow's lumps feel like they've gotten bigger and Montressor started developing mats near the base of his tail (he's been meticulous about grooming before now) and was yowling when I was cutting them off, like his arthritis has gotten worse. So maybe Midway is sensing they aren't feeling great right now?

Human-wise, my husband is constantly stressed from work and my own health has been one step forward, two steps back which is stressing me out. Maybe that could be it, he's not aggressively demanding extra attention from my daughter like he is from both of us.

kalikitty97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's....I don't know, he's not clingy. I would actually phrase it as he's being far more demanding of attention. Like my husband couldn't keep him out of his lap one day while he was sitting on the bed tying his shoes. My husband even grabbed his favorite blanket and put him on it, and he walked off and got right back in his lap. I've tripped over him what feels like a hundred times because I go downstairs and he's right under my feet while I'm walking in the kitchen. Then he goes to the closest food dish that I must walk right by and is winding around my feet to make it to that dish. When I walk past that, he's underfoot again and goes to the food dish right next to my computer. He also has a bad habit of using your leg as a scratching post when he wants to be picked up and now that's all the time. (He's large and long and I'm short, so there's nothing quite like finding out he wants to be picked up when he's behind me and stretches upward and digs his claws in my bottom.)

Pet-wise, the other two cats are showing a couple of worrying symptoms. Shadow's lumps feel like they've gotten bigger and Montressor started developing mats near the base of his tail (he's been meticulous about grooming before now) and was yowling when I was cutting them off, like his arthritis has gotten worse. So maybe Midway is sensing they aren't feeling great right now?

Human-wise, my husband is constantly stressed from work and my own health has been one step forward, two steps back which is stressing me out. Maybe that could be it, he's not aggressively demanding extra attention from my daughter like he is from both of us.
I think he very well could be picking up on your husband's stress and your health problems..as well as your other cat's symptoms. Is he very attached to the other cats? Perhaps they are making him nervous. The fact that he isn't demanding attention from your daughter makes it seem like he is just catching on to the stress and health problems of the two of you. My cat used to go through phases where she was very attached to me, then my dad. I'm wondering if she caught on to our stress as well. She would always put her paws over my chest and stare at me when I was in moments of anxiety. I think if he gets more demanding you should take him in and get a check-up. It wouldn't hurt either way, and it would bring you peace of mind. It's hard to determine if he is trying to tell you something, or just trying to comfort you.