Sudden Back Leg Paralysis-then Perfectly Fine

sueb696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. My 12 year old cat had a very scary episode a couple of days ago. One minute he was running around, playing, and the next, his back legs were splayed out and he was howling, real loud. This lasted for about 30 seconds. Then, he just got up, walked away and hid for a minute behind the bed. Soon after, he acted like nothing happened and went for a snack like everything was normal. (Us humans, not so much.) He's been fine ever since. We've not taken him to the vet yet , as he is reacts quite violently and needs to be semi-sedated for quick visits for his shots. Plus he has glaucoma, which we are treating, and has an opthamologist visit next week for a checkup so don't want to pile on. I don't want to put him through more tests than may be needed at this time, but certainly if he has a second episode, we would rush him to the vet, day or night. I was wondering if this was a seizure or something else. I've seen posts on saddle thrombus, but he recovered so quickly, like in minutes, I am not sure if heart related. If anyone can share experience, I would appreciate it.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been told that back leg weakness/paralysis can occur as the result of a blood clot, which apparently older cats are prone to developing. My elderly cat was on blood thinners (plavix) late in life for this reason, and her back legs were occasionally very weak, which seemed to come and go a bit. Eventually, she died of a stroke, which did involve paralysis of her back legs.

I definitely hear you about not wanting to traumatize your cat with too many vet visits, but this sounds serious enough to warrant one.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, he needs a vet visit. Do keep us updated on what you find out! Hopefully nothing serious. but i would want a check up.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't sound like a seizure in cats to me so much as perhaps a slip / joint issue if power didn't go momentarily. The only way to find out is the trip to your vet but I can understand your reservations as one of my previous cats needed to be sedated for all vet contact.

Please do try to let us know how things go and what the vet says. :vibes: