Sudden Agitation And Behavior Changes

catnapdreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
recently, my cat’s behavior has changed. He’s grown more agitated and doesn’t like being touched or handled. However this is an inconvenience because recently he’s been unable to get up on the bed and barstools in the kitchen and needs assistance. In the past, these tasks have never been a problem. Now he’s constantly meowing and whenever I go to move him or hold him, he gets so agitated that once I set him down he hisses in agitation. This hiss isn’t directed toward me but it is still a hiss.

It’s important to note that he’s been in a diet recently. His vet prescribed him weight loss food back at the end of November. He has not been a fan of his new diet but it’s been several months and only recently he’s been agitated like this. I do worry that his weight loss food is effecting him in an adverse way and I just want him to go back to normal. Happy, slightly annoyed at the world, and not so agitated with everything.

Can anyone help me understand why he may be acting like this?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Last edited:

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He might not like the new food but it sounds like he also has arthritis or doesn't feel well.
Has he lost a lot of weight?
How is his eyesight and how old is the cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnapdreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He might not like the new food but it sounds like he also has arthritis or doesn't feel well.
Has he lost a lot of weight?
How is his eyesight and how old is the cat?
He is about two years old. His eye sight is fine. And he looks like he’s lost some weight but not a whole lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnapdreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, some of you asked that I let you know what the vet finds, and after a series of appointments, x-rays, and a radiologist consulted, it turns out my cat has aseptic necrosis, also known as Legg-Perth's disease. It looks to be in the beginning stages and more steps are going to need to be taken to truly understand how far along it is and the best treatment plan for him. I just wanted to keep you guys updated. Your advice was very helpful.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear your boy has something serious going on but also thankful that they were able to get it diagnosed fairly quickly. Hoping he has a speedy recovery.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so sorry they've diagnosed a serious disease. :(
Sending vibes that with treatment he'll soon be feeling better.
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: