Sudden Aggression

hellokittyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, looking for some advice.

I have a 1 and a half yr old male cat - desexed who has previously been a very lovely sweet cat. We got another cat 8 months ago, female also desexed about 10 months old. They have always gotten along, played together and tolerated each other very well. All of a sudden our male cat has become very aggressive towards the female cat, attacking her out of nowhere, staring across the room and growling at her and chasing her around the house very aggressively making horrible growling and hissing noises. It's very it of character for him to be acting this way and we feel very sorry for our female cat being treated this way. I must also mention that our male cat has a UTI atm that we are treating and has seen the vet last week for it. I did mention the aggression but she didn't really give us an answer. We also recently had a baby who's been home with us now for 4 weeks, the aggression probably started a 2 weeks after we brought the baby home. The vet asked if there were other cats around outside (our cats are indoors only) and yes there is, one or two cats that often walk pass the windows. The vet prescribed antibiotics for the UTI and told us to try feliway. We've had the feliway diffuser plugged in for a week now and haven't noticed any difference. If anything it's getting worse! Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to help the situation?

Loki_Lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, looking for some advice.

I have a 1 and a half yr old male cat - desexed who has previously been a very lovely sweet cat. We got another cat 8 months ago, female also desexed about 10 months old. They have always gotten along, played together and tolerated each other very well. All of a sudden our male cat has become very aggressive towards the female cat, attacking her out of nowhere, staring across the room and growling at her and chasing her around the house very aggressively making horrible growling and hissing noises. It's very it of character for him to be acting this way and we feel very sorry for our female cat being treated this way. I must also mention that our male cat has a UTI atm that we are treating and has seen the vet last week for it. I did mention the aggression but she didn't really give us an answer. We also recently had a baby who's been home with us now for 4 weeks, the aggression probably started a 2 weeks after we brought the baby home. The vet asked if there were other cats around outside (our cats are indoors only) and yes there is, one or two cats that often walk pass the windows. The vet prescribed antibiotics for the UTI and told us to try feliway. We've had the feliway diffuser plugged in for a week now and haven't noticed any difference. If anything it's getting worse! Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to help the situation?
I am so sorry. It sounds like you have a lot going on with a new baby and a furrbaby with UTI. :alright:
Is he physically hurting the girl? If not, are you sure that is not playful fight? After I brought Lily home, Loki had just lost it. Within a week, they became friends. After a few months, they started playfully fighting with each other. It sounds very violent and they chase and pounce each other. At first I thought it was only Loki attacking my baby girl as I always saw him on top ready to pounce while she surrenders. Turns out, it is just how they play.. He kept doing that and Lily started fighting back. They now routinely do that every morning for a 30 minutes and I think it is a great for them to get some exercise.
You know your furrbaby better and you should be able to tell if he is doing that to force your female cat to fight back and play along or he is just being aggressive towards her? Also, it takes cats time to change according to their surroundings. He has a lot going on with a new baby, losing your 100% attention and UTI, poor fella might just be acting up. My Loki does not like babies. When our friends visit us with their babies, he wants to hit them with his paw when they cry out loud. Maybe your boy is just doing that to the female cat while he gets adjusted? I would say wait it out a couple more days and if things do not start to look better and free of UTI, maybe try disciplining him a little with water spray? It is harmless, but works on my babies.
Congratulations on being new parents and good luck with your furrbabies! :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your male has had a LOT going on recently! He's sick and probably uncomfortable, the female is still fairly new to him, there's a new baby in the house with all that entails, AND (being very honest) you smell different. Not to other people, but he smells the changes that your hormones are going through postpartum. I can kinda see his point if this is true aggression and not just rough play. I would suggest trying one of the new calming collars for him. Several members have had good luck with them, and the reviews are very good that I've found. I know that Sentry makes one. If you google "calming collar cats" you will get all sorts of sources!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try a calming collar. If you notice the outdoor cats are stressing him out, you can try blocking the view to the window. I would guess he is uncomfortable/cranky (UTI) and stressed from the baby. Congratulations on your new baby :)