Suckling

lisa4502

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my kitten at 7 weeks old and when I held him to give him kitty-lovin he would suckle on my ear lobe. Especially when he got up from his naps and when I got up in the morning. Now at almost 5 months old he's alot heavier and much more demanding for my ear. He hounds me until I let him. I don't let him do it anymore but he hounds me to no end for it. Is this normal.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It happens. When I rescued 4 orphans some years ago, they sucked my arms, shirts, nose
. Each gradually stopped after two months I think. However, Ichi will sometimes suck on my shirt when he is on my lap. They say it's because they lost their mom too soon. Although my orphans were less than 7 weeks old, yours might have still needed his mom before you got him.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Presley who is now almost one year old, suckled my neck as a kitten. He finally weaned
himself off of it since he was about seven months old. He still like to snuggle in my neck and might lick once or twice, but has totally given up doing that. I never made a big deal about it. Sometimes I would let him do it and other times I pushed him away. I didn't want to upset him, so I allowed it at times because I didn't want him to think he was strange
. He is my cuddle bug and the most loving cat. You are lucky, you have a snuggler too and he will give it up as he gets older

babydk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a cat who would suck on my husbands ear lobes all the time-even when full grown. He loved to do that at least once a day. LOL

messocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat will do that as often as let her and she is about 9 years old. My male cat doesn't and he is about 4.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mollipop suckled on my neck for months and months and she's a little over a year old. It didn't really bother me and if it gave her some extra comfort, well that was OK, too. I'd awakened from her suckling. Our vet calls the little marks "Kitty Hickies". She was seven weeks old when she came to live with us.

We've taken notice that, in the last few months, she's started to not seem so insistent anymore. So I think your kitty will grow out of it, too.

Some cats, though, seem to need a bit of comfort sometimes. My GF has a kitty who is about 15 years old. And she says she notices that, even now, the cat will suck on its own tail.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

Mollipop suckled on my neck for months and months and she's a little over a year old. It didn't really bother me and if it gave her some extra comfort, well that was OK, too. I'd awakened from her suckling. Our vet calls the little marks "Kitty Hickies". She was seven weeks old when she came to live with us.

We've taken notice that, in the last few months, she's started to not seem so insistent anymore. So I think your kitty will grow out of it, too.

Some cats, though, seem to need a bit of comfort sometimes. My GF has a kitty who is about 15 years old. And she says she notices that, even now, the cat will suck on its own tail.
Bijou needed to suckle on my neck (on one side only) every night before he went to sleep. I allowed him to do so and after about 1 year he stopped. He does now like to lick that one area if I'm holding him but that's about it.

I think your cat will outgrow it. It seemed to be a comfort thing.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Picasso would suckle my earlobe if she sees it (ie, when my hair is pulled back). Monet never did that.

its cute though!