suckling turns to biting, possible pica- suggestions please

monkeymind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read the wool sucking thread which was very informative. Our cat (14months) is a suckler and he was suckling robes, fleece pillowcases, etc. New to him and unaware of the PICA like behaviors and food obsessions to come- we gave him a flannel and fleece blanket for nighttime suckles.

10 days ago our oldest cat passed away. She tolerated the kitten and his fascination with her. but he'd only been around her for 5 months and has an older brother that he loves playing with. Our concern is since she passed he's seeming to bite instead of suckle (not sure if this is related to her death but timing coincides) We can hear his teeth clicking (grinding horrible sound) but he wont use the thick flannel blanket- he's started chewing up the fleece. Today I noticed a fleece and raffia toy missing the fleece and when he started chewin on his blanket i saw how much he has done. I have found no pieces of fleece around the house so can only assume hes been swallowing it. I am new to this site and planned to post about our concerns with possible pica but i feel this is an urgent thing that he will need a replacement for. Since our girl passed he's also been stealing kleenexs- who knew tears and snot are wonderful suckle material?

Anyways 1) really scared about fleece blocking him but we just maxed out all our money on trying to save our girl. Should we be concerned enough to beg the vet to take a look? I am especially terrified bc we lost our 2 16 year old cats in the last 6 months; the grief and shoulda woulda couldas are intense. I dont know if im being overly fearful bc of our losses or if this is an immediate vet action- xrays or whatever (not sure how we'd pay it but I cannot lose a 3rd cat.) They are our babies and the 2 we lost have been the center of our lives for so long.

2) since he's biting and not suckling, can you recommend any good chew toys that are safe for cats? I looked on amazon but would love input. He is 1 determined, smart little guy so want something that will replace the soothing he needs without hurting him?

Note: the wool sucking thread mentioned rawhide, beef stick, sock or furry animal. We have a ton of furry animals (our boy that passed 6 months ago carried them around the house and we havent moved them) so this little guy doesnt seem interested in furry. I'm concerned a sock could be dangerous with elastic. Have any of you tried raw hide or beef sticks? or heard anything pro or con about this for their health?

hes on the raw food diet so i want to look into the fiber aspect. he was found in the streets at 3 1/2 months old so we suspect he spent a lot of time foraging, eating, and snuggling with the homeless community- he must have been irresistable. He is a super friendly affectionate cat.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you haven't had any replies yet. I know that there have been a few members over the years who have had cats with pica, but I don't know much about it myself. I think if you could find a suitable chew that he likes, that could help. One thing about rawhide - make sure you don't get the made in China cheapie stuff, there have been dog deaths linked to it. My friend's dog likes reindeer antlers, and pizzle sticks. Your cat may be interested in chewing on the sticks as they smell like food.
How has his poop been since you noticed the biting? Has he been going normally?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to be very quick but want to say that our cat who likes biting on sticks and shoelaces and toy mouse tails enjoys Petstages wiggle worms. (this thing) I've noticed they don't get high ratings but, at least for Ireland, half the trick is making sure it's lying around and ready for her to gnaw on.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monkeymind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the warning with rawhide. do you know how to make sure its locally made? we've been checking his poops and he is going and we aren't seeing any fleece- so i'm wondering if its possible to digest it. regardless the suckle blankets are all hidden and he is not pleased:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monkeymind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its funny he is the first cat we've had to like the wiggle worm. but he doesnt knaw on it like other inappropriate items which is why we're thinking something bigger.