Suckling - Is It Ok?

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi!
My kitty Lucy was found under the house at 4-5 weeks old, abandoned or separated from her momma. We bottle fed her at first (me while wearing my fleece / faux fur trim robe,) then transitioned her to regular food easily. Ever since she quit bottle feeding, she's been a suckler (or "smurgler" as I've recently learned in the forums that this behavior where they knead and suckle is called smuggling.) At first, her favorite thing was my fuzzy rice, which I assume was because of the association with her bottle feeding. We transitioned her to her own blankie (with one side faux Sherpa and the other side faux fur,) pretty easily so I could reclaim my robe, and she also quit suckling at my neck / armpit at this time.

I've seen a lot of forums on here and online articles on how to discourage the suckling behavior, but is it really all that bad? She seems so comforted by it. I'd hate to make her stop unless it's detrimental somehow to her. It's pretty compulsive - to the point where if she's doing something else and we plop her down on her blankie, she'll go right to "making biscuits" and suckling. But she doesn't do it for very long before she cuddles or sleeps. Doesn't do it on any other place right now, either. During a recent health scare, I started to worry if she was swallowing pieces of her blanket, but it turned out to be another issue with her spay. Does anyone else not mind their kitty smurgling in bliss? Is there anything I should watch for, or any reason I should stop it?
Here's a pic of her sleeping after having some blankie time, one of her few comforts after back to back surgeries these two weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For some reason the pic didn't seem to upload. Here it is again:

Attachments

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten who was not separated from his mom until 11 weeks is a suckler he even try's to nurse on my 1 year old male. From what I've read and been told it is just comforting I had a Siamese that did it her whole life on her blankey she was so cute. Im certain this won't hurt her bc it's on a blanket( if your worried about her swallowing pieces switch to a soft towel) I was worried for my male and was told even that's not a problem unless his nipples get irritated. She may grow out of this or she may not. I'd make that blanket available to her at all times so she doesn't switch to pillows or other items you don't want smurggled to death lol!

Attachments

Last edited:

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think ppl discourage it bc they don't like there items smurgled and all sloppy wet, I'm positive it is not harmful to the cat just an annoyance to some cat owners

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it is ok. Ziva air suckles when overly excited or contented. She makes that sound when she's licking my ear in the morning to get me up because she ready for breakfast. The only contact suckling is her fav toy. It's odd, but I don't see the harm. O, Ziva is 3+ years old.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The behavior is pretty normal considering how many people have cats that do this. My six year old male used to "suck his thumb" as we called it (really just suckling on his paw pad) and did so for a few years until out growing it. At the time, I found it rather annoying because he often did it in my bed in the middle of the night while I was trying to sleep. However, I kind of miss it now.

Now I have a three year old female who nurses on herself while being petted. It's a bit odd, but she's not hurting herself in any way and I don't mind it because the position she lays in means she kneads herself more than she kneads me.:)

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think ppl discourage it bc they don't like there items smurgled and all sloppy wet, I'm positive it is not harmful to the cat just an annoyance to some cat owners
I guess I see what you mean, but I think it's sweet and makes her happy. I am now positive that the blanket isn't coming apart, and I keep it with her, or at the end of our bed so she can access it whenever she wants. I got an extra to see if having a few around the house would be nice, (plus, they're actually kinda trendy / pretty and inexpensive, so win-win!) She hasn't gone for the new one yet, but maybe after leaving it in her bedding for a while it'll stop smelling so new, and she'll use it while the other one is in the laundry. I'm happy to know that it won't harm her at all, since she loves it so much.

Your baby is so sweet! Your kitties must be close for them to cuddle and smurgle together. :lovecat3:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suckling isn't just OK it is adorable! I had a cat that had a binkie all her life. Let her have it. Just yesterday I say a faux fur infinity scarf at the store & thought if Sarah was still alive I would buy it for her :) I would suggest looking for or making a scarf of fake fur or thick knitted/crocheted yarn. Sarah's binkie was a lap blanket I crocheted. I think a scarf is easier for your cat to drag around :)

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
danteshuman danteshuman What a great idea!!! The faux fur infinity scarf seems to be really en vogue this season, strangely enough! I work in a women's clothing store, and we even have some at my work. I'll have to get one for her so she can drag it over to wherever she feels like snuggling. Thanks for the reassurance, and I agree, it is adorable!

Animal Freak Animal Freak boney girl dad boney girl dad Blakeney Green Blakeney Green I'm happy to hear that there haven't been any long-term effects of the smurgling behavior, and that I'm not the only one who lets their cat do this.

Akkino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha, Saiko suckels too.. I tried to discourage him at first, but he is so stubborn.
Sometimes when i pet him in the morning, he just walks away to a blanket to purr and suckle. He loves it if i keep him company for a bit and pet him while he does his thing.

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Velvet, smurgles every morning an a bathroom mat. She could do it for up to 15 minutes.

Here is a picture