Suckling...do I Let It Go On?

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted two kittens when they were just 7 weeks old. The have become very attached to me, and both will start looking for places to suckle if they snuggle into my hair. It's endearing at first, but one of them, Terrence, insists on suckling my skin every time I hold him now. He always goes for the neck, and he leaves lots of marks, which is sort of embarrassing. The feeling of him suckling my neck is also a little uncomfortable. Sometimes I can get him to suckle my finger instead, but he doesn't like it and will go searching for my neck soon after. He also refuses any fabric whatsoever. He will try to go for my cat's belly and she swats him away. He does suckle my hair when it's wet after a shower.

Since they were so young when I got them, and separated from mom even earlier (she was hit by a car, and they were bottle-fed) I feel bad denying them because I know it can make them feel comforted. This is also the only time they will knead - which I have never encountered before in cats! I just can't help but feel like they've been deprived. However, I don't want it to become a lifelong habit - which seems to be a risk with Terrence.

Any advice?

View media item 420034The insatiable Terrence

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a piece of felt draped over your neck? What about a really soft scarf? Or a rabbit fur on your shoulder/neck? In my experience you just drape the 'binkie' over your shoulder/neck & re-direct the kitten to the binkie, not you.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The suckling and kneading is very typical of kittens separated from their mom too young. It's far more common for it to be on a blanket than on bare skin though. I guess I'd just keep trying with different fabrics to get him to transfer. Putting on a scarf before snuggling with him to stop him getting access to bare skin might help too. As a last resort, you could try putting anti-chew spray on your neck for a while - that should help deter him.

He's absolutely adorable, btw :redheartpump::lovecat3::redheartpump:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wet a corner of a soft blanket with kitten formula and encourage him to suckle that. You can also wet a new, clean makeup sponge with formula and put that in a dish for him. These ideas have worked for some.

I had a kitten who grew up to suckle for life. She eventually took to a teddy bear and suckled and kneaded on him for years and years, eventually sucking off much of his fur. She loved that bear!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree that you may well be able to transfer them over to a soft blanket or stuffed animal. It isn't uncommon in kittens who lost their mama too early. Just have the blanket close by, and when they start searching for a spot, introduce it by placing it front of their mouths.

Best of luck on this! My cat's favored spot is the inside of my right elbow (thank goodness I'm left-handed). I think she will outgrow it...I mean, she's only nine years old (ok, ten in April!).

I luv my catz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried a piece of felt draped over your neck? What about a really soft scarf? Or a rabbit fur on your shoulder/neck? In my experience you just drape the 'binkie' over your shoulder/neck & re-direct the kitten to the binkie, not you.
Hey don't feel so bad I have a kitten who is doing the same thing the only one out of ten that is doing it

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ill take him!! What an absolutely adorable little tyke- bring him over now! He can share my bare neck with this suckler Calico who just turned one yr old and I hope she keeps it up- I really like it. Lowers stress for both of us. We had a 3 yr old boycat who suckled ears but stopped. He will stop later (and be a more secure adult) and you will miss it I bet.