Submissive Cat Does Not Hiss, But Chatters

Perxian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.
We've been doing slow introductions with our two kitties to hopefully get them acclimated. Our calico naturally hisses and growls under the door when he's close to it, but I've noticed that Panko, our large orange boy, doesn't hiss. He backs away, lays down on his belly, and chitters and chatters. I haven't seen him try to hiss once, it's so strange.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Perxian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meant to add the inquiry of if anyone else has seen this behavior before, lol.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not saying that this is the case, but I've seen cats chatter when they see birds or other prey animals. Take these introductions slow and easy, and keep an eye on Panko, just in case. I suspect that, in the long run, things will level out and be okay, but don't rush things at all.

• Purraise
Reactions: D_H
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Perxian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not saying that this is the case, but I've seen cats chatter when they see birds or other prey animals. Take these introductions slow and easy, and keep an eye on Panko, just in case. I suspect that, in the long run, things will level out and be okay, but don't rush things at all.
That's exactly what it sounds like, but he displays submissive body language as if to say "i am not a threat!"
Don't worry we're being very careful. They are only in the "smelling under the door" phase. I don't think these two are fighters, but we're not taking chances.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty has been known to chatter at the ferals. She's also been known to charge the glass back door, tail puffed out like a dandelion and hissing like a ticked-off dragon. And she's the biggest ninny in nature. I doubt she'd try to fight her own shadow, but she talks a good game.

All things considered, you are doing fine, for this stage of things. So long as you don't try to push either cat beyond their comfort level, and you certainly don't sound as if you would, I think that this will end well.