Subcutaneous Fluids for Kidney Disease

Raineycat

Cat whisperer and Full-time cat mom
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fairly new to new to the Kitty CKD world and am struggling with giving SubQs. I am supposed to do it every week since The middle of June but I've only done it 3 times. At first I used the supplies given to me, to my surprise it went sooooo well! Happy didn't even react. Then there was a slight delay waiting for supplies I ordered online since its hard to get to my vet without a car. I try to limit the Vet visits for testing. I try to order everything online. Anyways, the 2nd time was a disaster, I couldn't see the fluid dripping and didn't yet know about turning the bag upside down and squeezing the fluid back in the bag. I couldn't tell if the fluid was going in also Happy was not responding the same as last time, he seemed so uncomfortable. I was afraid I was doing it wrong, or that I set up the line wrong. The needle came out and he threw up so I decided to wait to do it again. I checked and the fluid was going to the needle. That night I found out about flipping the bag and squeezing the the drip thingy. A few days later I tried again and he was so uncomfortable and kept trying to get away. I couldn't see the bag very well and gave him 150 instead of 100. He threw up again and was really upset. His front leg got really fat and his tummy hurt to the touch. He felt hot to me and seemed lie he didn't feel well and was not himself. It took a couple of days for his front leg to get back to normal and it took several days for him to get back to normal. Ever since then I've been really nervous and keep avoiding giving his fluids. I know how important it is so today I rewatched the videos I watched the first time and took notes. I noticed some things I didn't the first time. In the Video one woman said that it was normal for the fluids to sometimes make the front leg fat and that was why she gives the fluids in the flank. That way it just stays down by the tummy. She gave examples on her different cats so you could seed their different reactions. Two of her cats were not happy about the poke, but the other two didn't even notice it. She also mentioned what to do when the chamber is too full. Those things did not catch my attention when I watched them the first time. It made me feel so much better to know that I probably wasn't doing anything wrong. I felt so guilty that I was harming him. Today I also Googled is it normal for a cat to throw up after SubQs. I found the question on this site and found out that it can happen with Normosol, which what Happy gets. I feel WAY better about giving him his fluids tonight. I just needed the same confidence I had the first time. I think Happy might react differently each time and he will also respond to how I am feeling. Happy and I are very very very close...attached at the hip. two years ago, he lost an eye and has his hearing and he still knows exactly what I am feeling, because we are so connected and close. We have been ever since I got him as a kitten 17 years ago. He has a way of looking at me, knowingly, with his one eye, like he knows exactly what I'm up to, what I am thinking, and how I am feeling. He is such a sweetie, so loyal, and my biggest fan, so I going to try to relax and be confident tonight when I do it again. Thanks to the gal who asked the question and the the one who answered it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are absolutely little energy sponges, so the more relaxed you are, the more relaxed he will be. Sounds like you're on your way to not getting stressed now. Good job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raineycat

Cat whisperer and Full-time cat mom
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are absolutely little energy sponges, so the more relaxed you are, the more relaxed he will be. Sounds like you're on your way to not getting stressed now. Good job!
I just hope he didn't sustain any damage because i was supposed to be giving fluids every week. I still gave him his Azodyl, Epakitin, PetRx vitamins feline renal, liquid amino, liquid b12 and I just started adding Astros oil. He wont eat the renal or kidney foods so I just try to give him less phosphate but I end up giving him whatever he will eat. I am doing a terrible job at all this. I kinda suck right now. I just don't want him to starve or hate fluids. He already hates getting the supplements. I wish I could get him to eat the kidney food. He's gone through a lot lately and has experienced some big losses.
I think the timing of the kidney issues was on top of major changes and its just too much to adjust to all at once. He needs to get used to each thing slowly. Its a lot and he loves routine. First he lost my old boyfriend in 2011 and we had to move, then his big sister Lucky passed in 2014 then Missy in 2017, then we got a couple of kittens in 2019 and his herpes acted up and he lost his eye and hearing at the same time. Then The kittens had kittens. Then a few months ago Venti passed. She was 18 and hew grew up with her since he was a kitten. He grew up with Missy, Lucky, and Missy and my old boyfriend. He lost his family one by one. He never really hit it off with my current boyfriend of 6 years. My four cats were really close to my Ex. He was their daddy. Having Venti pass in April was really tough on both Happy and I. Then right after she passed Happy got his kidney disease diagnoses, and we started all the food, supplements and fluids. We barely had a chance to grieve the loss of Venti. I just cant lose Happy right now. I need him to hang in there and try to make the necessary adjustments. He's been a real good sport so far with all he has been through. I cant imagine loosing an eye and my hearing. He and I got through that and we just have to get through this too. I am trying everything and learning as much as I can. I refused to give up on him. He is just the sweetest most loyal kitty I have ever known and believe me I am the cat lady, so when I say he is special its very true. He is so special and we have a special relationship. No human and cat have ever been closer.

I just have one question...is it right above the shoulder blades that you grab the skin and make a tent or just in front of or behind them?

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are doing a great job with Happy!

SQ fluids can technically go anywhere (within the sq space). I find the easiest to tent the skin at the scruff. Don’t worry if it’s in front or behind the shoulder blades.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing a great job with your baby. There are a lot of components that you are facing and it is not uncommon for them not to all work together immediately. While I am not his vet, I do have a young cat with a HCM and kidney issues who will not eat any prescription food. His vet said that he has to eat something, so in our case, I do not/am not able to feed the prescription food but do everything else that we need. If you can do low phosphate foods, that would be a help, but that may not work either.

http://felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

This chart/site may help with some food questions.

As for subQ fluids, I do it so frequently in the MASH unit that is my house that I actually have those little 3M hangers all over the walls so if someone plops down I just go and get the bag and run the drip. It takes a little bit of practice, but would be quite hard to injure an animal unless you were entirely careless with the needle or overadministered to a great degree. I have always made the little tent in that general shoulder blade area, either slightly front or back, as was described, but it seems as if the tent part is what really prevents discomfort. It does pool up, usually in the back, and then is absorbed in the body. There are various needle sizes, but the smaller you use, the slower it goes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a good web site with all things CKD: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

Another web site with subq fluid tips is Subcutaneous Fluids – IBDKitties There's some sort of harness thing you can try. There's a link to that on the web site.

In the Video one woman said that it was normal for the fluids to sometimes make the front leg fat and that was why she gives the fluids in the flank. That way it just stays down by the tummy.
Any sub q fluid will create a "pouch" under the skin no matter where you put the needle. A large amount of fluids such as for those needed for kidney cats will create a noticeable pouch. It takes awhile for the body to absorb all that liquid.