Sub q fluids and loss of sensation in limbs

Honehh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was given sub q fluids to give to my cat because of his Ckd.

He was fine for months. In the past 24 hours, he stopped eating or drinking. I have been syringe feeding with a high calorie mixture and giving about 80ml of sub q for the past 2 or 3 days now. Do I need to up the sub q amount? He no longer is able to walk on his own as of last night, I also know he has not had a bowel movement either during this time. What do I do besides what a conventional vet would "recommend"? How much would be too much sub q? He is 9 lbs right now.

Can I reverse his limbs from not being able to hold him up?

Please..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI\i - I think I'm confused. You're not having a veterinarian checking him regarding constipation and discomfort, possibly pain, what may be going on that he's refusing food, and can't walk?

Last edited:

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Typically I've given CKD cats between 100 and 150mL subq for CKD but always follow your vet's guidelines. Ask them first before giving additional fluids. One reason is because too much fluid can overwhelm the heart if your cat has a heart condition.

Have you contacted your vet? I think your cat needs to be seen sooner rather than later if he is having hind leg weakness and/or paralysis.

According to Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Index of Symptoms and Treatments, hind leg weakness can be a sign of, or caused by, many things: low potassium levels, anaemia, high phosphorous levels, metabolic acidosis, diabetic neuopathy, constipation, stroke, arthritis. Some of these things are related to CKD progression and may not be as scary as they sound. A vet would be able to examine and hopefully diagnose the cause and may be able to treat and reverse it (if it is treatable.) But there is no way to know without a vet, please take your cat in to be checked and let us know how things are going?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Honehh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes and no.
HI\i - I think I'm confused. You're not having a veterinarian checking him regarding constipation and discomfort, possibly pain, what may be going on that he's refusing food, and can't walk?
Yes and no. He has seen 4 vets in the past year, none have recommended anything except the fluids and Eleura. The constipation began a week ago, and its been a little over 24 hours with the limbs thing. His primary vet is closed today.

7beansinapod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am so sorry to hear of your cat having ckd. I am a veterinary technician. With your cats symptoms, I would highly recommend taking them into the vet to have their kidney levels,hydration levels and their urination and bowel movements and their inability to walk checked.

As the above post, do not change subq fluid amounts without talking to the doctor.
They may be able to prescribe you an appetite stimulant. Or prescribe a kidney diet.

Is he still urinating?
If your normal vet is closed, with his symptoms, i would recommend taking him to the local emergency or 24 hour vet