Stumped..yet, another peeing question

ripley601

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had Ripley and Cleo for about 6 years now. Both are indoor cats and both have NEVER had issues with the litter box. Showed both of them once and that was it. Never a miss, never hmm this laundry pile looks much nicer to pee in. We have been in this house for around 6 months, and one of them ..not sure who...has started peeing on the bath mat. (litter box is literally 3 ft away) First I thought well maybe its something with the rubber matting on the back, so I got rid of that one and bought another. Went about a month and a half with the new mat, thought the problem was solved and the other day...pee..stepped right in it
Washed the mat 2times, let it air dry in the sun for 3 days, made sure the smell was gone and this morning ..PEE!!! AAAAGGGHHHH. The litter box has always been in the bathroom with a bath mat in front of the tub..actually usually much closer also, as our old bathroom was very small.(trip in the shower and drown in the toilet small). I am very confused as to what the deal is.

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Peeing outside the litter box may be your cat's way of showing you there is a health problem, such as a UTI. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've read a lot of threads on this board that are very similar to yours and most of the replies say that when your cat is peeing outside the litter box you should take them to a vet for a check up to rule out any health problems. If the cats are healthy, your vet may also be able to help you pinpoint the problem. It seems that in many cases, if the animal is in pain when urinating, it associates the pain with the litter box and will not go in there to pee. When you take the bath mat away, have you found puddles anywhere else? You may want to do a thorough check, because having moved just recently I found a spot on the carpet under the bed after we moved it and I had no idea it was there. I never smelled it or anything. In situations such as yours, I think the vet is your best resource for solving the problem, and even if he/she can't help you, I'm sure they could give you the name of a behaviorist who could. Good luck, and keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ripley601

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope they never peed anywhere else. that was my thought too. After the incident the other day I did a thourough (sp) search of my house. Nothing. I took the bath mat away and they are perfectly content with using the ltter box. I have no Idea, what the deal is. Actually, now that I think about it. After the first time, i moved one of the litter boxes into that bathroom...figured new house , bigger house, ok fine if thats where you want to go then knock yourself out. No other accidents until 3 this week. I will keep the matt off the floor and see what happens. neither of them seemto be in any pain when going or acting unusual in any way. In fact they are very happy in their new home. Lots of windows and places to go, and things to see.

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting another litter box somewhere else? Maybe one of the cats doesn't like the one in the bathroom, or has been spooked whilst using it?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take them to the vet to rule out a UTI (my cat had one and was only peeing outside the litterbox on rare occasions). If they are cleared in that area, then you could try putting the bath mat over the side of the tub when you're not using it. That way, they don't have it as a target.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ripley601

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just reading the "sticky" post on inaapropriate peeing. And one of the posts stated something about not using a floor mat with a rubber backing. Something about the scent in the rubber that triggers them to pee. I thought that was interesting, I am going to try a little experiment and just put a throw rug there and see what happens. Maybe its the dampness from the water and with the rubber causing an odor. Who knows. Maybe the moon was full and the day ended in a "Y" ...ya never know with cats