Stumbling

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On two occasions now, another time about a month ago, my 15 year old cat, Sister, had unexplained stumbling that lasted less than a minute.
She was resting behind my chair moments ago where I could not observe her. I heard a commotion, she verbalized a little, and then she came out stumbling. I held her so she wouldn't fall, and she looked around the room as if it was spinning. Her whole head was moving not just her eyes. (It was not jerking like a seizure.) It was like she saw a flying bug and she was following its movement.. Scared me. It only lasted about two minutes and then she ate a little food.
She is a diabetic, off insulin, and gets regular checkups and blood work (good results).
Any ideas?
Edited: I have read about reactions to metronidazole and she took that for 7 days starting March 21 for diarrhea (checked her daily journal).

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Given her age and some of the medical conditions, I would at least give the vet a call.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the vet consult. I do not think that this long after the metronidazole that it would have anything to do with this. I don't know how often she is checked with her diabetes, especially since she is off insulin, but foods/etc. can change that on a dime and cause issues with all sorts of things related to food metabolism including mobility/neurological affects, just to name a couple.

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey there. Any updates?
I'm sorry I can't suggest mucho because I don't have any experience with diabetes. I have been following other people advise over mine's tumbling and it looks like it was cryptococus (a fungi)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, no updates. Sister never stumbled again. And I watch her pretty closely. I didn't want to take her to the internist only to say it never happened again, because it would not be worth the over 1 hour trip to Ventura and the stress she would endure.